Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D3300

HighHo

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this camera due to be released in feb.

More specifically it can shoot 1080P at 60 frames per seconds, so my thoughts are would this make a perfect camera for capturing planatary detail (using like a webcam/ccd), as well as being able to use to capture deep space images as a DSLR camera?

Im very new to this so there maybe things I have misssed when considering the above, so would love some feedback (including "its a stupid idea because..")

Lots of better info on the web, but heres the offical press release (key features at bottom of page): http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/press_room/press_presentation.page?ID=templatedata\en_GB\news_article\data\BV-PR-WWA-D3300-07012014

Hi there HighHo , welcome to the forum ...  :laugh:

I think it will depend to a degree on whether you can tether the camera directly to the laptop and download the footage directly to the HDD.

I think the video aspect is more aimed at the run of the mill everyday footage to be honest , cats , babies , nativity plays , etc, etc.

I had a Canon 1100D briefly and you had to shoot the MOV files onto an SD card first and then download them to the laptop , when you want to shoot lots of footage of a planet you can/will soon clock up Gigabytes of data , much better off with a dedicated planetary camera/webcam.

This may not be the case with the 3300 but I would suspect so.

And Nikon have a nasty trick of charging an extra £200 or so for the software needed to use their cameras tethered to a computer , software that comes free with a Canon and works exceedingly well.

Hence the reason why the majority of DSLR Astrophotography is done with a Canon ...  :laugh:

Many thanks Steve,

Obviously waiting for some proper reviews to come out. I did not consider the teather aspect althought dont mind just having a few sdcards to switch as required, but as you say the movie mode just may not work with this type of imagery.

I did look at Canons also, but I was slightly intrested by the GPS/WiFI with the android comptability to control and view without having to touch the camera (this seemed to only be avilable on rather expensive models of canon). From the camera side im more looking at the deep space stuff, so the throught of plantry detail was just a bonus.

Again many thanks for the feedback and some great points raised for consideration :)

My point is that there is no support from Nikon regarding tethering without a considerable cost , £135 for Camera Control 2 and £140 for NX2 , the equivalent "CanonUtilities" and "DigitalPhotoProfessional" package is FREE with every Canon DSLR ...  :rolleyes:

Granted there is DigiCamControl , but it is a very basic program and very buggy from looking at the comments on the site ...  :embarassed:

Nowhere near as well written and proven as AstroPhotographyTool or BYEOS.

I have seen rumours that a Nikon based version of BYEOS might be a possibility soon , but being a Canon man I have pursued this no further ...  :p

Im still potentially considering this camera, although I know at a risk but someones got to take the plunge I guess! Still think it might be a good all round DSLR. The laptop control is a bit of a downer I must admit but not a deal breaker for me. More back on track avoiding the Canon vs Nikon (I havent ruled out either brand, will be Feb at least before a purchase) anyone got any thoughts directly on this camera (with the limited info), any one have good/bad experince with no low-pass filter?

Digicamcontrol is fine & works & is getting better all the time. Don't let the software issue put you off. Support for the D3300 will come, its just a matter of whether it will support bulb control. All of the newer nikons do so I don't see why this one wouldn't.

In Canons favour though is being able to use clip in filters & which are currently not available for nikon bodies.

I would personally probably go down the canon route if starting from scratch & learn to live with the Rubbish ergonomics of them, especially if its just for astro. Its your money, take time playing with them & other makes in a shop & see which you prefer then look for ap solutions for that make. Use all this info then to make an informed choice.

Thanks Rob, I havent made dicession between Nikon or Canon, I asked ask this question because I can already see the great results of Canon and maybe  favorable, I have also seen some great imagining from a Nikon D3200 on planets which is why the D3300 with the extra video and photo capture made me wonder! I would be looking for a camera for eveything use otherwise I would go for Canon for the mods avaiable (I did low level repair as a job so componet level so this doesnt scare me). The thing that partly worries me with the D3300 is Digicamcontrol only supports where SDK is avilable for the camera so this might be a deciding factor. Theres some great Canons out there and I cant say which way I will go, I have handeled Canons and Nikons in store and slight prefer the Nikons. But of course in store you cant test remote capture etc :( I would still love to hear feedback on the cut of the lowpass filter.

Archived