Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Counter-weights for an Explorer 200p

Hi guys,

Received my 200p with HEQ5 this week :D

I wasn't aware that the Chinese exported Scud missiles with their launchers to the West !!

I have another question, which I am hoping some kind soul(s) maybe can help me with. Without setting up the whole shooting gallery, can anyone tell me if the counter-weights as supplied are sufficient to balance the OTA on its own. For the moment I don't anticipate adding any extras to the standard OTA assembly.

I have seen postings on this site where people have had trouble balancing a 250px. This has meant resorting to purchasing either additional counter-weights and/or the longer counter-weight rod available from FLO.

As I live in France, I do not want to get back home, only to find I require additional bits and pieces.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

regards,

Oslo

I had a 200 F/5 on a HEQ5.

It came with 2 x 5kg weights. One weight was at full length and the other was just over half way down, and it balanced fine...

You shouldn't have any problems - the 10" is a whole other story though!

Ant

I find that to balance the 200p on the HEQ5 I need the two weights at the very bottom of the bar so I bought another 2.5kg weight and now they sit about 1 inch from the bottom but the balance is fine.

Hi beamer3.6m,

Are you using just the standard OTA or do you have other equipment causing additional loading ?

oslo

I only asked to make a comparison, cos the Cape's OTA s'posed to be 8Kg, but clearly by the time you add rings, finder,dew-shield, autofocuser, ext tube and EP/camera, it can be in need of an extra weight. I bought some 2.5kg's from....can't remember! but that helped.I'm just surprised to read how some people manage to mount 8" scopes plus 66's or 80's for guiding on an HEQ5. Thank you for allowing me to indulge my curiosity.

Karlo

Archived