Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autostar 497 problem

Guys,

My first post so hopefully this is the correct forum. Had a search and couldn't see anyone else with this issue so here goes...

I used my (lovely) Meade ETX 125 for the first time in a little while last night. Had some major problems with Autostar. Firstly, I was surprised how unintuitive I found it; sure it was easier last time I used it... anyway, much more importantly, the unit gave me some real problems. The following happened when trying to use it:

• Screen went dead, displayed garbage "bbbYhfhdjsag@@@" etc type stuff
  • After some power on /offs the unit worked intermittently. Screen going in/out of visibility, similar to what happens if you push an LCD screen on an old calculator.

When these things happen the unit is unusable - you can't see anything on the unit never mind drive or align the scope.

I tried the unit again this morning inside: same problem of screen going in/out of visibility. Tried the unit again later on and it seems to be ok (at least the text is visible and the menu works and I can now drive the scope). 

Any ideas? Could this be from some condensation or similar as a result of temp change that is causing bad contacts?  Anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks,

Richard

Thanks for the reply.

I've tested the cable with a multi-meter and it appears to be sound.

Just read a link that suggested putting the Autostar unit in the fridge because this could be caused by the display overheating (really?).

Will update if I get it fixed.

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty :(

What are you powering it from?

Seen a handset display that but not 100% sure why and I can only think I powered I had 9v on the scope ETX-105 from the mains/DC unit I use for the ETX-70. In effect low voltage.

Not using rechargeables are you ?

I know that I do not have it any more and I have not done a firmware update, so not that as a solution.

That is a costly way, unless it is the only solution.

Suggest you go register on Cloudy Nights and post a question there.

Go to the Meade specific section and put one there.

The Weasner site seems  to be there but it is not as busy these days, could be worth a look.

Wonder if new firmware would do anything, even if it is the same firmware as presently there.

Occasionally they come up used, check ABSUK, but not often.

Archived