Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope Cover

Blackheart

Hi all

I know this topic has been covered many times but I thought I would share a new discovery with you. After the latest spell of infuriating weather I decided to look again at buying a cover for my 12" Flextube. I looked at all the usual BBQ and garden furniture covers but nothing seemed quite right. I started to consider an expensive Telegizmo but this just seemed excessive. I then came across a British company called Bags 4 Everything. The name says it all but they also offer a bespoke service at pretty reasonable rates. I asked for a quote for a bag to cover my 12" flextube dob and was quoted a price of £27 plus £6 postage. I thought the postage was a bit steep but the price for the bag was excellent so I went ahead and ordered it. It arrived this afternoon and I have just tried it out.

The fabric is just the right weight... not light and flimsy but not to heavy as to be a problem when dragging over finders and focussers. It has a draw cord which pulls in nicely under the base of the dob. The seams aren't taped but  don't see that being too much of a problem and it could be easily sorted with a bit of seam sealer.

The size I ordered for my 12" dob was 70cm diameter and 120cm tall (deep), 4oz waterproof nylon in blue with a draw cord. This is a perfect fit with a little room to spare. All I did was measure the height of the scope and the diameter of the base and add a little to be on the safe side. Now I don't have to worry about the odd shower when I leave my scope out for a few hours.

All in all very happy :)

Here's the website if anyone wants to check it out...

http://www.bags4everything.co.uk/bespoke-product-details/test-bespoke-1

Hope that's useful

Peter

ps. In the third shot I just put a kids' plastic ball on top of the scope to prevent water pooling on a flat surface.

post-6004-0-16366700-1389361502_thumb.jp

post-6004-0-81202600-1389361516_thumb.jp

post-6004-0-42647400-1389361531_thumb.jp

I hear what you are saying Reddoss but I want to give the bag a good test so I can report back to you guys!

And as you know, when you want to test the waterproofing of an item our weather is always ready to oblige!

I've been checking the weather reports for my area all day and it said we might be in for a brief spell of rain somewhere around 3pm. It's now been raining solidly for three hours. Ho hum... twas ever thus!

Archived