Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you could visit one place in space.....

Vagif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little late to this party, but I'd like to see the night sky from a habitable planet, orbiting a star that lies towards the centre of a large globular cluster.

i wonder what that looks like - maybe a night sky full of stars as bright as venus,

perhaps u can read by starlight ! u might not see much deep space stuff though

if the sky is so bright.

What would the Milky Way look like from somewhere in Andromeda? I'm thinking we would look like even less of a smudge.

I think it would overall be a better sight. The MW doesn't appear so inclined from M31 as M31 does to us, so though the MW would have a lower surface brightness, it would be easier to see detail. The LMC and SMC would be visible in the same field of view in binoculars but not most scopes. M33 from M31 would be a bright needle galaxy, probably visible even from suburban skies.

Of the local group's major galaxies, M33 gets the best views. M31 would be a face-on spiral the size and brightness of the LMC from Earth. (Provided, of course, you aren't on the "far side" of M33, or the view may be obscured). The Milky Way would again be an obliquely viewed spiral, with the added bonus of M83 as an apparent companion just a degree or two away.

Archived