Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tele-Optic Giro III (Red!) Mount

Macavity

where from?

How Much?

I'll write a few notes about it soon (hopefully). But, just for you, cut to the chase: :rolleyes:

http://www.telescope-service.com/mounts/start/mountsstart.html#GiroProduktinfo

The home website page is http://www.tele-optic-tecnica.de/pageID_5186398.html

This example is the GR-3 TV. The spec is not that different from the GR-2, but they

switched from lubricant to polymer bearings etc. Supposedly "better" - And, for the

moment, it only comes in (albeit quite a pretty) RED colour only! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris

Startravel ST102/F5, Skymax MAK 127...

Plus (again increasing) family of Hyperions.

Hi CW - Forgot to put a post here... Here's the Review:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=21607.msg222072

Too many exclamation marks, spelling mistakes and too much like WORK? :D

Just messing with my new toy, in the cold light of day - And still like it VERY much! Indeed, a sort of "virtual telescope" (to use the hip term) - from two REAL ones (f=500mm and f=1500mm). Sharing Hyperions eyepieces in the range 32mm - 8mm, you get everything from 16x thru 188x and corresponding TFoV 4.5° thru 0.42°.

Since you ask: The tripod shown is from the Skywatcher EQ3-2 (which I was able to fit immediately). I suspect the more dedicated (stronger!) would use a "proper tripod" i.e. heavier! But this is adequate for my portable setup. With the bolts on the mount, I find you can (easily) match the altitude of both scopes. With a bit of (crude - cardboard!) shimming, the azimuth too. The refractor then works as (big!) "finder" for the MAK. Just trying out some DIY "scales" and a "digital level" - The idea is that this become a sort of "Push to" system... :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris

Startravel ST102/F5, Skymax MAK 127...

Plus (again increasing) family of Hyperions.

• 3 weeks later...

Brief postscript to show addition of nice stainless steel counterweight arm - for "single sided" operation. Fits EQ3/5 weights etc., as predicted. Also added homebrew "setting circle" (au singulaire), plus eponymous WIXEY gauge - for "Push-To" (will yet throw in a few red LEDs). But now no further need for "Cycle clips and smelling salts" for my grab and go setup... :mrgreen:

Grabandgo.jpg

Hi John - Coincidently was looking at that. With the EQ3-2 tripod legs fully extended, I can still just reach (bit on the... short[er] side, me!) with the scope level. At zenith... about 3' 6"(?), so can "casually lean" to gain access to the eyepiece. :D

In "old money", the EQ3 tripod is ~7lb, the Giro head ~5lb. The ST102 Scope (+ noseweights) AND counterweight, each around 10lb. But I can still substitute / add ~10lb of MAK127 (in lieu of counterweight). OK, The "young and fit" may laugh, but... :mrgreen:

Archived