Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heavy Duty DIY Parallelogram Mount

Damo636

No bother mate, I'll put a pen to paper the first chance I get. 

The oak build sounds like a good plan, you should be able to knock one together using only hand held tools. There are lots of wooden designs online, and even plans if you do a bit of digging. Anyways, leave it with me and I'll get busy with the measuring tape :smiley:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah cheers mate, i have seen a lot on Youtube made of wood but cant seem to find any blue prints as such on the net, i understand the principle of a parallelogram, im just not sure of the dimensions to make all work.

Thanks for helping me out, i look forward to actually getting one constructed, up and running. Thanks again. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Damo, i have been away on holiday and not sure if you have not had a chance to put pen to paper with measurements for me yet but would really appreciate it if you could help me with a mount.

SCS Astro got back to me saying the Orion Monster is no longer available, i think it is so stupid that a device like the parallelogram isnt more readily available for star gazing. 

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi Damo,

Great thread and great photos!

I just purchased a 25x100 binocular and now must build some mount to hold it, after some google search I came to your thread, just what I want to see. Now I have got a lot of ideas how to built something simular to hold my binocular.

This is what I have:

http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-big-binocular/project-big-binocular.html

Maybe I use part of my used EQ2 mount's slow motion controls if it needed. I don't have any experience of a big binocular like this and what it need to be easy to handle.

Thanks that you sharing your project !

ps.

Your binocular weight is about twice compare to my Helios 25x100, is your a tripple lens design, or?

/Lars

• 1 year later...

Hi @Damo636,

I really like this design and want to build one for the 15 x 70s and any future monster bins I might purchase in the future. How did you bend the 10mm thick flat bar? I'm about to make an order and don't think bending aluminum this thick is possible with a home setup.  (I work with wood and have recenty built a telescope with aluminium fixtures)

Archived