Celestron travel scope

Hi folks

First post on the forum.

I am looking for a bit of help

I bought my wife the telescope above with a thought of getting into a bit of stargazing. But when we go out and try and look at anything other than the moon in detail we are struggling.

I know where Jupiter is in the sky at the moment up here in scotland and went for a look tonight but all I can see is a white circle with what looks like a black line through the middle I tried the 20mm and the 10mm lens. It was the same when I tried looking at Venus last winter as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to SGL.

Which lens are you using for Jupiter? If you can see a band then you are getting focus. But do not expect to see the images you see in photos on this site. They are multiple shots that have been stacked to bring out detail.

You should be able to see the moons of Jupiter, there are 4 but you might only see one or two as they orbit the planet. They change thier poisitions daily and even by the hour.

If an object is low in the sky (<15 Deg) then you are vewing through a thick wedge of atmosphere, this can affect the seeing.

Try some of the brighter DSO like the M42 the Orion Nebula.

Are you near a local astro club, if so go down and talk with them, they are generaly friendly and helpful people.

Is the "black line" jet black, or just darker than the disc? One or two bands darker than the disc are what you should see. A jet black line though suggests some sort of issue.

How big is the "white circle"? It should be really small, if it's large you aren't in focus.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

The suggestion to visit an astronomy club is a good one. Most will be happy to help. At my own club we get people turn up (after making email or phone contact first) and we are pleased to help, with absolutely no obligation to revisit or join  :smiley:

Or maybe try the scope during the day on nearby objects ?    Is there a finder on the main scope ?  That's a tiny scope attached to the main scope, or a "red dot" aiming device ?  That needs to be lined up with the main scope, so that the finder is pointing in exactly the same place as the main telescope is, or aiming it will be a pain.

To align the finder, put the lowest power eyepiece (the 20mm) in the main scope, point the scope at a chimney etc as far away as poss, then adjust the finder so it's pointing in exactly the same place.   Change to the 10mm eyepiece and repeat to refine the adjustment.

Go through the full focusing range, you should get a clear view hopefully.....

Regards, Ed.

Which Celestron scope do you have ? the SLT is a short wide field refractor not best suited to planets, the XLT  at f9 with a barlow is better for planetary detail.

As you'll quickly discover, you need more than one scope to see all there is to see :)

Dave

Hi Davey

It is a Celestron travel scope 70 we have. I now know that it is not the best scope out there but it was just a starter scope for my wife to gaze at the moon.

I did mange to see 4 of Jupiter's moons as well tonight not in great detail but at least it is bit of progress.

Hi Grahamfyfe, Welcome to the forum.

I too have had trouble with this scope, frustratingly so! Well done for getting a view of the Jupiter bands :) The only way I could focus on Jupiter was with leaving the main lens cap on and taking the smaller cap off. The travel scope I have, I think, could be a lemon but generally they are prone to Chromatic Abberation so I believe.

I too have seen that black line but it only appeared when I have the diagonal fitted. Its bizarre! :confused:  Take it out and re-install with just the eye piece in and alas, no black line, just a dodgy back at the angle your having to contort yourself into. :tongue:

That said its a good little starter scope from my experience to get used to using a scope, wide views and of course lunar views. Be warned you'll get hooked and want to upgrade!!!! :grin:

Post # 9 - " I too have seen that black line but it only appeared when I have the diagonal fitted. Its bizarre !  take it out and re-install with just the eyepiece in and no black line............"

Is the scope this one ?  http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Celestron_Travel_Scope_70_Telescope.html  I think a clue to the 'black line' mentioned, and the fact that its not there if the diagonal is not used, is the correct image diagonal.

Years back, I tried one of these in a short focus achromat, and it was a disaster, correct image, but very degraded view compared to normal diagonal.  The extra prism in those causes all sorts of issues, and I can recall a central line present in the view.

I realise that you don't want to spend too much on accessories for an inexpensive scope, but a regular 90 degree prism could well improve things a lot.  Keep the power down, you can see a lot at up to around 70-80x, and the scope could give a lot of fun.

Regards, Ed.

Someone pointed out in another post that even if the scope is cheap buying a better diagonal and a better EP will improve what you have plus you keep those items when you move to a bigger better scope.

Some people buy the Startravel and use it as an introductory OTA and then use it as a guide scope later as they progress.

My first advice is send it back, I know of at leasst 2 on this forum who have done this with the travel 70.

Visit a local club is the next, brilliant for alsorts of ideas, tips snd alround welcoming tk stargazing.

enjoy the hobby

steve

I have a cheap, £80.00, f/9 Celestron Nexstar which came with an erecting diagonal, 10mm and 20mm eyepieces which was OK ish, but when I got a Meade SCT, which came with 11/4" diagonal and series 5000 26mm eyepiece, these transformed the performance of the Nexstar, being longer focal length scope probably helped.

I have used it as a guide scope and still take it out occasionally to look at planets.

Also have ST80 which I use as a guide scope but the views through it are rubbish, I think the moral is if you're going to buy a cheap scope get a longer focal length one and look at planets. 

Dave 

Archived