Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everyone....Have had a bad past year or so ...but have now decided to start my fledgling gazing career with a change of setup...

Have just purchased a Bresser Messier EXOS 2 / EQ-5 mount and am awaiting delivery of my scope..Bresser telescope Messier AR-127S/635

My aim is to take photographs with my SLR..as a newbie I have a couple of stupid

...1  What kin of goto will my mount/scope accept ? I have seen one on ebay ..a SkyView Pro EQ...will this fit/work and what others will ?

....2 Will this setup with a goto give me satisfying photos with hard work and patience ?

Thanks in advance Paul

A couple of things spring to mind. Have you by any chance purchased the book 'Making Every Photon Count'? It really is an imaging bible and THE place to start from. If you've not already done so, get a copy and read it ......... twice, before you even think about what to buy.

AP is all about the mount, mount, mount. From my experience you need a good sturdy one that will allow some form of tracking. The oft mentioned HEQ5 is recommended for a reason - it is probably the best mount available for beginners that just does what it says on the tin. Couple that with a short refractor (80ED) and that places minimal stress on the mount due to it's focal length and you will be off to a flying start in no time.

Have a look on the imaging section and be realistic about what sort of images you want to achieve. Then look at the kit people are using and that will give you a good starting point for your AP rig. Is anyone using the kit that you mention? This will give you another good idea about the capabilities of what you mention.

I've not answered your questions as I'd not want to give you advice about kit I know nothing about, but the advice I do offer is a good starting point and works well.

Thanks very much for the advice...I will order the book...my wife bought me a Jessops TA 1100-102 for Christmas...using stellarium with my smartphone was able to locate Jupiter tonight and with the 20mm lens managed to capture it shoeing the 2 large cloud bands and 4 of its moons...most surreal...

There is 2 relatively inexpensive kits for eq5  but I don't know if they will fit the exos. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5.html

the other was the ioptron goto nova I am not sure if its still available

I have just found the exos goto  kit  http://www.astroshop.eu/drive-motors-with-goto/bresser-exos-2-goto-upgrade-kit/p,23742

• 2 weeks later...

Archived