Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustrated with new 6" SCT

Hi Mgarsal and welcome to the SGL, I'm sorry your having problems with the 6SE, I've read through most of the posts - there seems to be a little mismatch with your results so far as you say that once synced on Jupiter, the mount finds its way back to Jupiter - so the mount seems to work so far as to "remember" where Jupiter is wherever the scope is pointing.

I wonder if it may be worth doing a "factory reset", don't worry about the latest firmware that's "in" the scope/mount - this will give you a good base to start from - only problem is that you will have to re - enter long and lat - as mentioned above, level the mount, then point it to say, Polaris, so your first star is very near (Polaris doesn't move a lot (that's if you can see Polaris)

Another thing to check is the power tank your using has a full charge (using batteries and a low power tank could also be a potential problem).

I had exactly the same problem with my CG5 Mount - each alignment was way off on the first star I was using for alignment, so a quick factory reset and after that - perfect, also balance the tube assembly in the mount with all your attachments on.  

The 6" SCT is a marvelous scope and a very good performer, my 5" Mak has similar spec and FOV, If you concentrate on the brightest objects first, when aligned, you can check the progress of the mount - say align on the Moon, focus, then try other objects - not ideal - as the Moon is very bright (this may cause a few problems due to its brightness when you move to a fainter object - try to stick to the star clusters like M36, M37, M38, M44 and in Orion M42 and move back and forth frrom object to object just to see how the mount behaves.

Keep at it and try the reset - it worked for me.   Paul.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i use a SLT 102 Goto and can see pretty much anything 

It terms of F ratio i believe mine is 5'.

Things like Orion Nebula should be easy to see along with M31, M45 and Star Clusters.

Anything like Crab Nebula will be slightly difficult as you would need a) inverted vision i.e. in darkness for a period of time & B) Low Light pollution.

Sending a replacement I believe wont change the viewing unfortunately as learning the sky comes with experience and many frustrating hours.

I used to own a Dobsonian 200P and went onto the GOTO Scopes to dip my feet in AP. 

Also is daylight saving on or off? it may sound stupid but when i got my Goto i forgot to change this to No.

Double Check the Lang/Long as this would cause misalign.

You noted that you align with jupiter outside your window!? this would definitely cause problems with viewing as the thermals from the house would cause a wavery affect when viewing.

I concur. The gotomounts are generally very good. I am very happy with both my scopes/mounts. The issues are usually wigh user inexperience or poor equipment. (Usually poweer supply)

Stick with it and take the tips and advice on here, once matered you will be wizzing around the skies finding things you might find very difficult without the goto.

My buddy on here moonshane will admit that goto is not the easy way some may make it out to be. All things have there place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004OX8VBY/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21

2 tips for you,

buy this if you can afford it, get it bang on before you press the enter button. (Link above)

Next and harder to do (not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet). Your mount will always slew to its final resting position from the same direction, you must identify and do the samevwhen aligning. Ie, it always overshoots where it is going to then makes its last adjusting movements before giving you a ready to go beep, it is the last adjustkng movements that count.

There is a little slack in the gearing system and if you do not copy how the mount moves when aligning, ( align from opposite direction, up instead ofvdown for examlle) then that slack can be enough to throw your mount a fair way out.

hth

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I have found the 2 star alignment process results in objects being a little out of alignment in the eyepiece, but using Sky Align, objects are placed very near the centre of the eyepiece - except M57 - the Ring Nebula for some reason. The tracking of the SE scope is excellent for all objects.

Check to make sure you have inputted  the correct date (in American format - mm/dd/yyyy) and the correct time corrected for either daylight saving or universal time.

Archived