NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 150 PDS and coma corretor

Hi,

I am considering getting an SW 150 PDS just to have a newtonian and also for some galaxy imaging @ F5 as my main scopes are all fast wide field Apo EDs.  Could anyone please confirm if the 150 PDS can achieve focus with a coma corrector and either a DSLR or an Atik CCD. I prefer  to buy the Baader MPCC as I have seen some tests that show the SW CC can produce ghosting and secondary reflections if a bright star is in the FOV. I would be grateful for any light that could be shone on this matter and thanks for your help in advance. 

Regards,

A.G

I have an old 150p (pre- PDS) and I could achieve focus with my Canon (Now gone) and ATIK 16HR.

I have replaced the focuser with a 2 inch version, using the Skywatcher Coma corrector in a cut down 2 inch adaptor and the ATIK comes to focus with about 5mm travel to spare (inwards).

The PDS had been slightly modified with Astrophotography in mind so it should be OK.

It will work with the pds versions.

The SW corrector is ok and does produce some reflections - but not as many as the old Baader mark II, which was awful. However, Ive read that they've fixed that in the mark III. Which is interesting because while the old version produced reflections, it delivered much better correction across the field. So if the reflections have been fixed, then I might be getting the new mark III too.

It will work with the pds versions.

The SW corrector is ok and does produce some reflections - but not as many as the old Baader mark II, which was awful. However, Ive read that they've fixed that in the mark III. Which is interesting because while the old version produced reflections, it delivered much better correction across the field. So if the reflections have been fixed, then I might be getting the new mark III too.

This is exactly what I was told, I will first try and image without the CC as the ATIK sensor  just fits  in the coma free zone of the 150, about 12.5mm I believe. If not then I will probably have to order the MPCC MkIII. Thank you both for your replies.

Regards,

A.G

Archived