NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser Broke- Replacement?

I just bought a Celestron Firstscope 114EQ off a guy for 25USD. It came with a crappy mount, but the mirrors look great. A few minor dents on the the tube, but overall good. Except... It seems to have been left out in the rain or something. All the bolts and screws are rusted. A few are missing heads. I knew this when I bought it and I wasn't too worried about $25. The big issue came today when the focuser knobs quit working. I finally found the issue to be on the focuser tube itself. It has metal teeth that the wheel rolls up and down. I can still focus but it's a huge pain. I'm on a budget and can't afford to buy a new telescope (unless it's another 4.5" for less than 50USD haha). Does anyone know if I can get a replacement focuser? It's 1.25".

Thanks!!!

Jared

Welcome to the forum Jared. Are the teeth on the rack that is fitted to the drawtube and those on the focus wheel shaft still in good order?. If so, then it might be just a case of adjustment. Undo the 4 screws that hold the focus wheel shaft and check that the drawtube is free to move in and out, if it is, replace the focus wheel shaft and tighten the screws equally and carefully until the mesh of the teeth is good.   :smiley:  

Archived