Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 80ED & HEQ5... extra essentials for DSO Astrophotography?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Consider a Skywatcher Equinox 80 - slightly more expensive, but much faster focal ratio. You can also use a 0.8x reducer (TRF-2008) with it to get down to f/5.

But how good is the colour correction if you do that? F5 seems improbably fast for a doublet, at least to my mind. I don't know the answer since I've never seen an Equinox in action.

Olly

The extention tube I mentioned is to replace the light path taken up by the diagonal. That way you can bring the scope to focus correctly on the camera sensor. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/two-inch-focus-extension-tubes.html

Acually, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-2-inch-t-adapter.html may be better as it looks like it combines an extention tube and t-ring mount, then add http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html to mount the camera. 

If you go for a reducer, you probably won't need the extention tube.

But, if cost is an issue, then you don't need the reducer, and the tube and t-ring are a much cheaper option.

Dunno. Have a look at some of my pictures and tell me how bad they are. No doubt blue bloats more than a triplet, but no worse than a larger f/ standard ED80. Mine are done with an Equinox 80 + TRF-2008. No refocusing between parfocal Baader filters.

Dunno. Have a look at some of my pictures and tell me how bad they are. No doubt blue bloats more than a triplet, but no worse than a larger f/ standard ED80. Mine are done with an Equinox 80 + TRF-2008. No refocusing between parfocal Baader filters.

I've no intention whatever of claiming your images are bad! If the Equinox does reduce down to F5 that's great. I simply didn't know, which is why I asked.  I know the normal ED80 is a good 'un. So a doublet at F5? Yes, that's impressive.

Olly

I'm wondering now if instead of buying various filters etc, if I should plough the last of my cash into a camera upgrade...
I have the Canon EOS 400D (no live view -- 10Mpixel)...
Assuming I chose a different EOS which did have live view - would I be better going for  a model with much higher resolution (18 Megapixels) - or a lower resolution Astro Modified camera?
Would an 18 Megapixel camera be better or worse for noise?

(Sorry if this topic is expanding too much!)

I'm wondering now if instead of buying various filters etc, if I should plough the last of my cash into a camera upgrade...

I have the Canon EOS 400D (no live view -- 10Mpixel)...

Assuming I chose a different EOS which did have live view - would I be better going for  a model with much higher resolution (18 Megapixels) - or a lower resolution Astro Modified camera?

Would an 18 Megapixel camera be better or worse for noise?

(Sorry if this topic is expanding too much!)

Here be a can o' worms.

Modern sensors are usually larger and may have less noise, but the amount of light per pixel is less than a lower resolution, so more pixels isn't always better. There is a value for different types of AO where you calculate the arc seconds per pixel, to see which sensor is best. I have an old EOS 30D and the arc seconds per pixel are better than my new 70D for nebulas, but it will probably have more noise.

Archived