Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

piggy backing a DSLR on to my AZGO mount?

tingting44

hey guys, currently im limited to about 25 seconds exposure on my DSLR on a normal tripod @ 18mm focal length without noticing star trailing, i was just wondering would it be worth piggy backing my DSLR on to my AZ mount, would it increase my exposure time much at 18mm focal length, if so what would be my cheapest options for piggy backing?

edit, my scope and mount details are in my sig

ive found this on FLO,

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/celestron-piggyback-mount-for-nexstar-5-6-and-8-se-telescopes.html

would it work with my scope? cant seem to find much else,

also is there an option to just use the camera without scope? i guess not as i would still need the scope to get the AZ mount aligned right, then take off the scope and put the dslr on the mount? bit of a pain isnt it...

Hi Tingting

I purchased that bracket to fit to my Celestron SE8 it worked fine, but then I decided to remove it and make a wooden bracket for it that fits straight onto the mount. It was very easy to make and took less than an hour to knock up. I've attached photo's below the piece that forms the dovetail is oak and is solid enough to prevent any flex.

post-26295-0-63525700-1388325011_thumb.j

post-26295-0-40563300-1388325018_thumb.j

post-26295-0-61660900-1388325024_thumb.j

Hope this helps to give you an idea or 2 

hi clockwork, thanks for the pics :) not sure that would work for me tho as i dont have scope rings, just a dovetail plate on the scope which screws on to the mount. not sure how i would attach anything to the scope really as there are no options on the SW 130p :(

I cant see why you cant use the camera with the nifty fifty as a scope for aligning the mount if you use liveview zoomed in to give a small field of view. I suggest the 50mm because its a much brighter image on liveview you can then swap for the 18mm.

I cant see why you cant use the camera with the nifty fifty as a scope for aligning the mount if you use liveview zoomed in to give a small field of view. I suggest the 50mm because its a much brighter image on liveview you can then swap for the 18mm.

now thats an idea!!! i like this idea as i dont have to lug the scope out just to take widefield shots with my dslr, with this idea all i would need to connect my dslr to the dovetail on the mount would be one of these right?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html

now thats an idea!!! i like this idea as i dont have to lug the scope out just to take widefield shots with my dslr, with this idea all i would need to connect my dslr to the dovetail on the mount would be one of these right?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html

Yes that sort of thing if your mount uses the vixen style dovetail there are lots of variations like this one too might find something cheaper on amazon or elsware if you look around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TS-Optics-Dovetail-plate-photo-mounting-plate-for-telescope-PSFotoDel/390479616304?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D3741019241348261451%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D370500561419%26#ht_1437wt_1018

Archived