North West UK locations

Not sure about near you but theres Salford Astro club who are a good bunch http://www.salfordastro.org.uk/Salford_Astronmical_Society/Home.html

The car park at Teggs Nose country park near Macclesfield is a good spot. I went there a few weeks ago and the difference between there and just south of Manchester was amazing. If you're heading over that direction then i believe the car park at the Blue John Cavern near Edale is a very good site (i'll be trying it out at some point). It might be worth getting in touch with someone at Macclesfield Astro club http://www.maccastro.com/ who will give you a better idea of observing sites in that area.

Not sure how Snake Pass fares regarding traffic and messing up exposures.

Afternoon all, I'm new to this and have the buzz. Wondering if there are any clubs close to Wigan, or if anyone knows of any great spots for photography. Thinking of snakes pass between Manchester and Sheffield.

A club would be great for me to learn and meet others.

Many thanks

Phill

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalkr bacup

Yout best bet is for Todmorden near Bacup in lancashire. Good luck and let me know what u think of as I have had a bellyfull of the lights in south Manchester.

A.G

Lensman57 and Phiol

Why don't you pop over saturday night , you are more than welcome?

Plenty of room to set up your gear.

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the invite, I may just take you up on that if the weather holds up. What time can I get access to the site and will you be there yourself?

Regards,

A.G

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the invite, I may just take you up on that if the weather holds up. What time can I get access to the site and will you be there yourself?

Regards,

A.G

Hi official time is 7.30, we are normally there earlier.

Weather is out of our control, but we have had some clear patches later on in the evening for the last two weeks, 10pm plus.

I will be there but am just a beginner, Peter or Andy are the main knowledgable people - but most people are very friendly, especially if they have been fed!! lol

Anybody is welcome to visit on a Saturday night and welcome to bring their equipment and set up outside.

I also in the same boat as Phill and welcome any suggestions for viewing sites...I'm in Gatley near Stockport so may nip over to Castleton sometime...planning on visiting Macc Astro meeting soon.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

lensman and Keith how was it tonight

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi,

I took a drive up there at about 2pm to find it, it is a bit of a trek from my location , about 45 moniuts drive. I got there about 2.45 pm and it was the usual weather, clouds and rain.  I got back home hoping that I would get a clear night but it did not happen, setup the mount twice and had to bring it back in, fast moving clouds and drops of freezing rain . I stayed up till 1 am but it was the same story. I hope ot make it up there one night .

Regards,

A.G

I also in the same boat as Phill and welcome any suggestions for viewing sites...I'm in Gatley near Stockport so may nip over to Castleton sometime...planning on visiting Macc Astro meeting soon.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

I've been to blue john cavern, from levenshulme I drive straight through Stockport. It would take you about 35 mins and is an amazing place

Pretty much smack bang in the middle of Peak District. Low east horizon and very dark

2aparyte.jpg

Just came back from there, beautiful place, freezing as hell though. When I used to do photography a long time ago I used to be up there in Peak District every opportunity hauling my 5X4" or my 6X6 around. How time takes its toll?

A.G

Archived