NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Iris obsession

StuartJPP

The Iris is obsessable! Getting nice and dusty here. Super picture.

Is the core really overexposed in the linear data? Could you not make a softer stretch just for the core and then paste it underneath before gently erasing to top core?

Olly

Oooooh Olly you butcher!!! Tell me you use layer masks???? :):p. Or Pixinsight will bring it back also

Lovely image Stuart, nice clean, and dusty, if that makes sense!

Sometimes, Tim, but less often than most people, I know. I do quite often use the simple eraser. I also use Colour Select to identify parts of a layer for removal rather than a Layer Mask. This image is still noisy because of the stretch required for the Ghost, but I didn't layer mask the Iris core. I just used a feathered eraser of diminishing size in iterations of low opacity. Maybe the core is a bit over sharpened though. http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/9131296_ijREH#!i=2764726052&k=gNvcb9N&lb=1&s=O

Olly

Many thanks for the comments everyone!

The Iris is obsessable! Getting nice and dusty here. Super picture.

Is the core really overexposed in the linear data? Could you not make a softer stretch just for the core and then paste it underneath before gently erasing to top core?

Olly

Afraid it is overexposed Olly. I got a little bit carried away and tried 5 minute subs which was too much for the conditions, i.e. over-exposing the core and not gathering any additional signal since the moon was 50%. Still I am fairly happy with the result which was just initially going to be just a test run but turned out to be a half decent session. Next time I hope the moon will be less of an issue and I will capture some shorter subs as well.

I did have a bit of another play around with this but no way I'd be able to match your image Olly...no matter how long I exposed for. This one was manually registered and stacked so a slight bit of a different crop to the previous effort.

gallery_27141_2284_425415.jpg

Blimey, you got that dust in moonlight? Treat yourself to some long subs in the dark time, then. A very few shorts would allow you to fill in the core, too. When you get into multi night imaging, adding new data to old, etc, Registar really does put a smole on your face. I know it's expensive but I couldn't live without it now.

Anyway it's a great Iris.

Olly

Thanks Olly, the moon wasn't very high at the start of the session as I started it fairly early and Iris was opposite to the moon. Each sub did get a little brighter but I don't think it really affected the imaging too much but will know if I get a chance to do it during new moon from the same location.

Archived