Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod for Binos

I've been thinking about a tripod to use photographically as well as for binos, but I can't make up my mind what sort of head I would like. The tripod Steve sells seems very good for the money, what with it's huge max height and good load capacity, but I'm wondering if a three way, or even ball and socket head might be a better all-rounder.

Any thoughts on this?

Andrew

I find the Manfrotto 055 tripod with a 410 geared head is the best I've ever had. It gets used with my camera, bins, PST and ZS66. I've a couple of thier ball heads as well, very sturdy quality products. They are often on ebay but they hold thier price well.

Dave

The recommendations for the FLO tripod make a lot of sense. Unlike with a telescope, using binoculars really needs a tripod that's at least as tall as yourself and which is very sturdy (heavy binoculars will cause a lot of wobble). You can use a shorter one, but it's not so comfortable over prolonged periods.

If you do plan on using the tripod as a handy grab n' go accessory, I'd recommend finding out how smooth the action of the head is. With binoculars it doesn't matter so much, but with a telescope at over 40x magnification it can become a pain trying to line up small targets when the head jerks about.

If you do plan on using the tripod as a handy grab n' go accessory, I'd recommend finding out how smooth the action of the head is. With binoculars it doesn't matter so much, but with a telescope at over 40x magnification it can become a pain trying to line up small targets when the head jerks about.

I'd mostly agree with Neon but would add that you still need a smooth pan and tilt action and reasonable solid head when using bins, I've found that with a cheap tripod the head can move slightly after locking it, enough for the object to have moved to the edge of the FOV in the binoculars.

Archived