NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seben 76700

My friend has recently got the above named telescope.  He used it during the day and images are upside down.  Is this normal?  I have a different telescope but I haven't used mine in the day time.  I also haven't had a chance to go round and see it as it's Christmas.  Any opinions or views on this scope folks? 

Thanks a lot. 

Marc. 

Its an astronomical scope so its quite normal for images to be upside down at 76mm apparture its quite small for serious astro work but the moon will be good, jupiter and its moons, saturns rings and a few brighter doubles and messier objects will be possible. Hopefully this  scope will get him hooked on the hobby, 

Hi Marc,

Yes this is normal. What you will also find is that as well as the image being upside-down it will reversed left to right. That's what happens with a Newtonian reflector. If your also using a straight through finder the image seen will also be upside down and reversed left to right. All scopes show the image reversed in one or more directions i.e. an SCT will show the image the right up but reversed left to right. The only way to get "around" this is to use an erecting diagonal - not really some thing that people use. When looking at astronomical objects such as stars there is not real right way up.

Hope that helps,

Ian

Some folks find it easier to use a right angle correct image (raci) finder scope which makes everything look the right way up and correct left to right orientation. It can help with star hopping to have the sky looking the same as the view through the finder. Some folks however, like to see what the scope sees, through the finder. But the image in the scope will be reversed and inverted.

Just a point to ponder - what does upside down mean in space? is there such a thing? and is it us who are really upside down and wrong way round? It's also interesting to note that when light enters the eye it projects an inverted image on the retina (much like a pinhole camera). The optic nerve carries the image to the brain which computes the inversion to what we perceive as right way up and right way round. :)

Yup, the upside-down image is normal for a Newtonian reflector. A refractor, SCT, or Mak when used with a standard "star diagonal" oriented so the eyepiece is vertical when the tube is horizontal will give an image that's upright but left-right mirrored.

Seben are notorious for marketing some very bad scopes. Their 76700, however, hopefully isn't one of them. It looks like a fairly standard 3 inch Newt on an alt-az mount, and should show the basics.

Good advice above, but I'd like to add -

Loads to see with a 76mm reflector, but as with all telescopes used for astronomy, patience is key.

But it's important to be realistic with what you will see, don't expect views like in books mags & online, apart from perhaps the Moon.

Keep the magnification down, lots of nice views from the lowest your scope can go, up to around 100x.

Make sure the finder (small scope on top of the main scope, or could be a 'red dot finder' ) is lined up with the main scope, or you will struggle to point it accuratly.

Regards, Ed.

• 4 weeks later...

Good advice above, but I'd like to add -

Loads to see with a 76mm reflector, but as with all telescopes used for astronomy, patience is key.

But it's important to be realistic with what you will see, don't expect views like in books mags & online, apart from perhaps the Moon.

Keep the magnification down, lots of nice views from the lowest your scope can go, up to around 100x.

Make sure the finder (small scope on top of the main scope, or could be a 'red dot finder' ) is lined up with the main scope, or you will struggle to point it accuratly.

Regards, Ed.

I'm glad to hear there's plenty to see with a 76 mm 'scope - I received one at xmas and got a brilliant view of Jupiter and moons first night out. Is it possible to see any detail in nebulae using this scope?

I'm glad to hear there's plenty to see with a 76 mm 'scope - I received one at xmas and got a brilliant view of Jupiter and moons first night out. Is it possible to see any detail in nebulae using this scope?

Welcome to sgl m42 ithe great orion nebula is worth looking at even with such a small scope

Archived