Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iOptron CEM60 - a new mount design!

blinky

Yes, I've read several comments about the ASCOM driver.  iOptron have just updated it (I've not used the new version yet) but presume that the hub issue hasn't been resolved?  Not a problem for me as I am only using ASCOM for mount control but I can see this does need to be addressed.

Glad the review concurs with your thoughts!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2.6 driver does not address the Hub issue...  

The advantage with it being a hub is, with the guiding software it can be connected to the telescope drive and issue pulse guiding through that - this eliminates the need for an ST4 cable (and I'm not getting into the WHOLE discussing of ST4 guiding vs Pulse guiding). The other logical connection is the planetarium software can be connected for goto's... and the final one is the camera software (if different from the guiding) which can stamp the RA/DEC coords onto the FITS header, is using FITS files.

The 2.6 driver does not address the Hub issue...  

The advantage with it being a hub is, with the guiding software it can be connected to the telescope drive and issue pulse guiding through that - this eliminates the need for an ST4 cable (and I'm not getting into the WHOLE discussing of ST4 guiding vs Pulse guiding). The other logical connection is the planetarium software can be connected for goto's... and the final one is the camera software (if different from the guiding) which can stamp the RA/DEC coords onto the FITS header, is using FITS files.

Hmm. Well that lacking feature would kill it stone dead for me, it's just the way I like to work.

ChrisH

There are ways around it... using POTH in ASCOM allows it to connect to the mount and then multiple programs to talk to POTH.... it does work - I tried it...

But... if you just want to stay using ST4 guide cable, then that is fine also.... that will use the guider relays in the mount talking to your guide program. The single connection to ASCOM could be used for the planetarium program.

Check out the ASCOM pages on POTH (Plain Old telescope Handset) here

It can be a bit of a Pfaf, but it does work.

I also encourage you to email iOptron support to ask if then please modify their ASCOM driver so it can act as a Hub... at support@ioptron.com and to post in their yahoo group ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ioptron )

I have the iEQ45 and use basically the same ASCOM driver, I use the ASCOM generic hub to get round the limitations and this does all I need, did try POTH as that allow the nudge to work (all be it simulated with small slews) a noisy affair as well, can't turn off the slew beeps on the handset, pretty noisy at 2am.

I see the 2.6 driver has added some much need functions, MoveAxis and DestinationSideofPier though 2.6 is restricted to the new IEQ45 Pro and CEM60 currently.

Yeah... the updated ASCOM is a move in the right direction... I never tried the generic hub though.

As a side thought, I also use focusmax, which is also a hub... but I haven't extensively tried it's telescope connection.

... and one other point - can you elaborate on your blog :

"Word from iOptron is that the setting to allow RA guiding disables the encoder for around 3 seconds after a guide pulse has been received."

Phil

Hi Phil

Ian,

did you get a chance to log an email with iOptron support regarding the ASCOM driver?

No I've not done that yet.  To be honest it's not an issue for me as I guide with ST-4 and only need one iOptron ASCOM connection (for computer control).  I've never needed to use ASCOM as a hub so this isn't something I know very much about to be honest...

... and one other point - can you elaborate on your blog :

"Word from iOptron is that the setting to allow RA guiding disables the encoder for around 3 seconds after a guide pulse has been received."

Phil

Not much more to say, to be honest.  What I received said "With RA guiding allowed, the EC encode will stop working for a period of time after each guiding feedback. If there is no RA guiding signal for say 3 seconds, the EC will kick in"...

Interesting.... I must do a test with only DEC guiding enabled.... when I figure out which axis is which with the camera orientation I currently have.....

Thanks for that

Phil

Archived