Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomical calculator (degree separation of objects)?

Hi all,

This could be one of those that I feel stupid about later, but is there a simple way (software/App) that will enable me to simply calculate the separation between stellar objects in degrees/minutes. I can get coordinates easily enough with Stellarium and I'm sure if I sit down and think about it I can work it out myself - but is there an easier way?

From the description given - any two stars, I would doubt it. Simply because there are a lot of stars and your requirement is for any 2. If you consider say just the great square of Pegasus there are 12 values, and that is on just 4 stars.

The "best" would be an application which takess the RA+Dec of 2 and as a byproduct coughs up the seperation, the problem is that to many that seperation is of little revevance. Seperation is usually applicable to double stars or specifically close ones - perhaps the Orion belt stars, but I cannot think of any reason for wanting the seperation of the Summer Triangle stars.

Options to produce something would be a spreadsheet where you input the data and out comes an answer. An app for a phone or tablet would need to take 2 stars to compare and just as a value output the seperation simply because with the data it may as well.

For a comparison the main information would be Constellation, where, colour temp, size, RA/Dec, Mag, Distance. Because you are comparing 2 it may as well output the seperation, although to many it would be of little use.

Thanks Ronin, perhaps I didn't explain myself so well but you got my drift anyway! Yes a spreadsheet could do it well enough - which although I'm a bit rusty on Excel these days I'm sure I could sort it. There is no specific bustin' reason - other than in one or two books I have there are mini-charts giving separation between specific  stars in connection with field of view. I just wanted to work it out for myself.

In SkySafari plus, if you click on one star, then a second and go to the information for that second star then it gives you the separations from various objects, including the previous one highlighted. Example below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stu

Hi all,

This could be one of those that I feel stupid about later, but is there a simple way (software/App) that will enable me to simply calculate the separation between stellar objects in degrees/minutes. I can get coordinates easily enough with Stellarium and I'm sure if I sit down and think about it I can work it out myself - but is there an easier way?

There's a really easy way!

post-467-0-61505700-1387629449_thumb.png

Archived