NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polaris C and D.

Having taken a few images of Polaris in the past  I was interested in the C and D components.

C and D are 13/12 mag and are separated by 43/83 arcsecs respectively.

Looking at past images I believe they are just visible in the glare of A.

The following image was made using SW 80ED+reducer Canon 600D 30secs@ISO 800.

Have labeled the three components, B is visible as a hump on A ......separation 18arcsecs.

polarisabcd.jpg

Thanks very much.

I won't lie but I think is was more luck than anything.

Did a lot of research on the net to see where C and D should be, hopefully the two very faint ones are the beasties.

I compared it to one particular image found on the net and they seem to line up.

Great image and im going to try to have look at this visually on the next clear night. It will be a challenge as mag 12 and 13 will be pushing the limit of 16 inch under light polluted skies.

I was goint to ask which way was north but in this picture oddly enough north in in the centre and south is wrapped around it but do you have a RA for c or d so I can work out where they should be?

Also I was just wondering what mag b is shining at, great to see you have managed to get this just peeping out flom the glare of polaris.

well done, amazingly just 4 stars but very interesting and a great post.

cheers

This is what sparked my interest in these two stars.

http://www.jdso.org/volume2/number2/Daley2.pdf

Coords from WDS Cat                                              Seperations  Magnitudes02318+8916STF  93AB    1781 2009   62 203 232  18.5  18.2  2.1   9.1  F7:Ib-IIv +038-015          +88    8 N D  023147.08+891550.902318+8916STF  93AC    1884 2009    6  88  98  43.3  38.7  2.1  13.8            +038-015                   NU   023147.08+891550.902318+8916STF  93AD    1884 2009    7 172 189  82.7  82.1  2.1  14.3            +038-015                   NU   023147.08+891550.902318+8916STF  93BC    2005 2005    2  81  85  53.0  53.2  9.1  13.8                                       N    023043.45+891538.602318+8916STF  93BD    2005 2005    2 178 182  69.4  70.3  9.1  14.3                                       N    023043.45+891538.6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Very interesting to see and pleased to see some activity on the doubles side of things.

Have been into doubles for about 18 month now, trying to image them.

I had a look at an image of Polaris I took just over a year ago. I am assuming on my image that it is B that is visible but I did not capture the others.

Come better nights, this will give me something to have a go at.

Cheers

Martin

IMG_2392 Polaris 2.TIF

Hi Martin.

My HRPT set up is no more.......the rx went kaput.

Still got the MSG set up but it is not running at the moment.

I need to recable the dish but the weather just won't hold for long enough.

My second processing pc hardrive , I have a two pc set up, finally died after running nonstop since 2004.

I lost all my David Taylor software, of course it won't run on the new harddrive as it's finger printed.

Must contact David as I have been running time limited on another pc.

Know what you mean about the clear nights, been quite bad for cloud here but I have managed a few nights.

When there is no moon I'm imaging dsos but when the sky is brighter I go for doubles.

Still experimenting with the EP projection, it's a steep learing curve this astrophotography lark. :grin:

Hopefully I will post up more stuff in this section as time allows.

When you get a chance will be interested to see what you can get with doubles.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

WXsat side, I haven't done anything for quite a few years, since about the time R.I.G. went to the wall.

Still have APT and MSG1 equipment. My (David Taylor) software probably won't work any more but I still kept up my Met-licence.

Maybe we can chat by PM at some point as it is off topic here.

Doubles wise, I started to take measurements from my images and reduction software by Florent Losse. I get a buzz out of comparing my results with the WDS catalogue when they match!

Have a website of what I have done so far, if yourself or anyone else with an interest in doubles would like a look its at  http://www.astronomy.binhoster.com/  any comments would be welcome.

Hopefully we are due to some clear nights so I can get back into it.

Cheers

Martin

Weather indicates a clear night so set everything up earlier today.

Now its dark, looks like some high level cloud is coming in.

Will give it some time to clear and if it does I will have a go at imaging Polaris tonight.

How are you getting on Alan, is it clear for you?

Cheers

Martin

Martin,

I gave it 40 minutes with the LX but was unable to see these two other stars, I rather think the moon has got something to do with that, I am going to put it off until it is out of the way and will report back on any success. Weather is not a problem here we have plenty of clear sky though we have just had a 16 day period where I only got 10 minutes at the scope in, this is almost unheard of.

The normal 'B' double star was there to be seen long before dark but the other two are a bit more testing. For me of course while the likes of Sirius are higher in the sky than the UK, Polaris is lower, but it is still about 41 degrees above the horizon.

Alan.

After setting up yesterday, there was a thin layer of high level cloud.

I waited until late and it did seem clear in parts.

I tried imaging some doubles in Canis Minor and Polaris at different exposure times in an attempt to find C & D, but after checking my results this morning it was very disapointing.

Out of about 5 doubles, I only got results for 1 of them and that is not too good either.

Lets see what tonight brings.

Later

Martin

Archived