Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mak frustration!

recceranger

I also have a 180 pro and it is an excellent scope.I usually leave mine outside for 2 to 3 hours before i observe and in all fairness it holds collimation well ( i always check at the start of a session tho to make sure ).Ive found that the jet streams speed and position severely effects high power planetary observations and if you combine that with a bright moon your in for a tough night .Theres some very good advice already in the thread a dew band and dew shield are must have items and i found that the addition of a decent focuser makes it a pleasure to use ( i rough focus with the stock focuser and the fine focus with my moonlite ).Another good addition are bino viewers,i now use them for 90% of my observations and give a real 3D effect to many objects ( m13 at 200x is jaw dropping  :grin: )

The one thing you do need is patience,the conditions wont always favour the mak and some nights things just go wrong but when they do come together and you see a GRS transit or shadow transit at 300x you'll know why everyone gives such rave reviews.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Matt,

I will stick with it and agree on the need for a focuser upgrade.  Revelation and Sky Watcher SCT focusers are reasonably priced.  I may even push it to the Baader!

Since you mentioned them, I have taken a look at WO Bino viewers.  I think FLO are doing a good deal at around £179.  Looks a good addition to the armoury.

Can I ask what (outside of bino viewers) EP's you use on the Mak and whats your take on how far you can push before the image softens and loses contrast?

Cheers

Rick

The Williams optics bino viewers are what I use and they are very good value for money Rick.I have a 32mm Televue plossl which I use as my 'finder' eyepiece, its tack sharp across its f.o.v and gives around 80x magnification. The only other eyepiece I use is a 12.5mm Astro Hutech Plossl which gives around 200x.I find on a average night around 130x magnification is realistic and the only way you can see when the object view ' softens' is to try different eyepieces. I hope this helps.

Certainly an external focusser makes a world of difference. I believe the bigger MAKs now (finally!) come with a 2" diagonal. Whatever the theory, always worthwhile trying wide field (30mm+, 70+ deg etc.) 2" eyepieces. A feature of these scopes is that enough light seeps around the minimalist baffling to gain useful field. As they say, every little helps. ;)

Archived