NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

best Deep Sky Stacker settings for raw Canon images

red dwalf

hi all,

been having some successs with using deep sky stacker but am still thinking i might get better results using different settings in Deep Sky Stacker, so was wondering what setting are best or what people would recommend.

here`s the settings i`m using at the moment so what do others recommend or use.

RESULTS :- standard, or should i be using mosaic or intersection 

LIGHTS :- kappa sigma clipping, not 100% if this is right so should i be using one of the other options.

also RGB channels background calibration, which calibration method and RGB background calibration method is best ?

DARKS :- which stacking mode is best

ALIGNMENT :- which alignment mode is best

INTERMEDIATE FILES :- which is best

COSMETIC :- again which is the best settings

thanks very much in advance for the advice and i know there`s alot of diffent setting options in this program which can be alittle bit of a pain when trying to get the best results.

I use DSS; but i mostly have made up one setting that works for 99% of my images.

RESULTS :- I normally use standard unless i use drizzle - where i obviously just use a small section. I've done a mosaic a coupple of times, but it's really not much use for anything but to see how much you've drifted off target.

LIGHTS :- If i have a large amount of frames i use kappa sigma klipping. It helps remove manu unwanted things, like airplanes, shooting stars, hot pixels, a small cound in a coupple of the frames and so on.

RGB alignment - I have no idea what actually is best, i guess it depends on the images. I usually always ahve to do the alignment manually afterwards anyway.

DARKS :- i leave it on median kappa sigma clipping.

ALIGNMENT :- never had to select anything else then automatic.

INTERMEDIATE FILES :- never used this

COSMETIC :- I haven't changed any settings here, but when using kappa sigma clipping for stacking light then hot/cold pixels have never been a problem for me (as they get averaged out and removed completly with enough frames unless your tracking and guiding it absolutly 100% spot on).

I use kappa sigma stack as long as I have at least 12 light frames to work on, the algorithm needs this many to be able to statistically remove the pixels that are part of the plane trail etc. For the others, I think that's covered. The Background RGB calibration is used to set a custom white balance, which works great if you're using a light pollution filter and are getting a colour cast. But you need to make an adjustment in the FITS/RAW settings to get it to work correctly.

The white balance settings top right

Picture1.png

Then set the RGB settings to 

Picture2.png

Archived