Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

linux ubuntu imaging stutters

happy-kat

Hi

On our old laptop (kept xp partion) I installed ubuntu version 11.something (latest version install would support) and all looked good and the laptop was pretty responsive.

So I then updated to 12.4 and installed wxastrocapture. The laptop is stuttery and sluggish now and wxastro behaves strangely and wont hold selections made but jumps around.

So please how could I start again and install 11 once more?

Thank you

It is a very old compaq branded HP and pretty sure no dedicated seperate graphics card.

Version 11 worked so much faster transpires I think to being better suited to the laptops age so I really want to start again.

This ubuntu install was to get the improved wxastroimaging program so I could try my webcam on the moon :-) on our old laptop and I stupidly thought it would be best to get 11 on and update to 12.04 once there.

Firstly I will double check the graphics card situation.

Ubuntu is getting a bit lardy and resource hungry in my opinion.  The switch to Unity hasn't helped at all.  I'm using Mint Linux on my desktop.  It's still derived from Ubuntu, but there's a version using xfce as a desktop which should be rather less demanding.  I'm going to try that on my netbook when I get around to upgrading (actually I'm just waiting for them to finish the next release of the xcfe version).

What camera are you using, out of interest?

James

To learn with I have one of those xbox ones with a nose cone adaptor. It still has a filter (bashed the leds) as I have not bought a irda uv filter yet.

In my tech box from many years ago I have a Toucam 740 the yellow one but I am keeping that safe for now.

The laptop needs a skinny very light build so maybe I should switch to something else.

To learn with I have one of those xbox ones with a nose cone adaptor. It still has a filter (bashed the leds) as I have not bought a irda uv filter yet.

In my tech box from many years ago I have a Toucam 740 the yellow one but I am keeping that safe for now.

The laptop needs a skinny very light build so maybe I should switch to something else.

The driver for the Xbox camera is a bit ropey even still, though it is possible to patch the kernel to sort it out.  I wrote up some details for the v3.0 kernel here:

http://www.tanstaafl.co.uk/2012/04/xbox-live-camera-on-linux-part-4/

I can probably do some for later kernels if you need them.

James

I have manageed to get Ubuntu 11 back on the laptop and performance is better again./

On installing wxastrocapture I get a message 'The package doesn;t provide a valid installd-size control field.'

Shall I ignore this do you think please, in that is this a common message on installing this software?

I did not get it on installing on Ubuntu 12.04.

That's not an error I've seen before I have to say.  If it installed ok otherwise then I'd assume it isn't a big deal.

The bad news for wxastrocapture users that I saw only today is that the authors appear to be saying that they no longer have time to support it.  The good news is that they may well make it open source and allow someone else to take over.  Assuming anyone else wants to take over, that is.

James

Always the way :-)

Webcam working fine in wxastrocapture and now laptop playing up we have a known hardware fault which has finally caught up with it and it is now hovering on being fruit cake and is none repairable, hoh um extra long usb cable to desktop will be needed now.

Archived