NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 Orion Nebula

AstroEd

I'm no expert but your second image looks over exposed.

If I'm correct in thinking that the focal reducer also speeds up the lens which means your exposures can be shortened, so try reducing your exposure times which should also bring out more detail.

I hope I'm correct in what I've just said.

Actually I would say your first image is over exposed. If you look at the second image you can see the 4 main stars that make up the trapezium area. The first image shows one bright area. This mean that since you have a faster f/ratio with the reducer for the first image you will need to shorten your exposure to not over expose the stars. The second image has a bit of star trailing starting to show which is make the stars bleed into each other and look over exposed when then actually are not. With the reducer you will be able to shorten your exposures and still get that same amount of detail and data that you would if you shot with out it. Just need to get the guiding down smoother and take a lot more subs and stack them together and you'll have a good finished image. Shooting at that kind of focal length is always tough. I see you are using a Lodestar and 80mm guide scope. You got a good camera for it but with this kind of focal length the best type of guiding is with an OAG. The guide scope tends to add flexure issues which can throw off guiding.

I have the guide scope and lodestar but as of yet have not put them on the scope for use. I am trying to learn the basics and see what I can do unguided and as I get more proficient will add the guiding, I have PTSD and my memory is not good so I have to take it slow till one thing clicks into memory then learn the next. by time warm weather is here I should be guiding. My next set up (When ever that will be) I plan to use my DSLR on the 11" EdgeHD AND use the Lodestar as a imager just to see that it works well and to see how sensitive it is will just be monochrome images but I am curious.

There's nothing wrong with taking things in steps. Especially at your own pace. If you push it you'll just end up hating this hobby and no one wants that as this is a really fun hobby. At least I find it that way.

The Lodastar is a pretty sensitive camera. You'll be able to grab some decent images with it. Where you might find it the strongest is with Planetary imaging. Even though you can do long exposure imaging with it it wasn't specifically designed for that.

Going unguided for now is fine. You are limiting the length of subs you can get but thats fine. Try to image with the reducer on. This will let you get more data faster and get longer subs before star trailing occurs. Since you're going unguided for now another thing to improve your results is to make sure your polar alignment is as spot on as you can get it. The best way to do this, with out a computer program, is to do a drift alignment. There are a couple tutorials on here I think and tons on the web. Just do a Google search and you'll find them. This is the most accurate way unless you want to hook everything up to your computer. And at that point, unless your setup is permanent, you just might as well hook up guiding. So don't worry about that for now.

Archived