Sell or keep?

dascenc

Hello everyone,

I wanna jump into AP so I recently purchased a SkyView Pro8 (used) and a new Orion Ed80 as my scope. Now here lies my question. I already own a Canon 60D so I was wondering if I should keep that as my imaging camera or if I should sell it and use that to fund a autoguider and a dedicated CCD? If I keep it I'll need to build a cooler box for it and when I get into tracking I'll need a PC in the field anyways. If I sell it now I can fund the CCD and auto guider all at once and just jump right in PC and all. What do y'all think? I originally bought the 60D for photography but I never use it anymore.

Thanks

David

I would be surprised if the cash released from the sale of the 60D would fund both a suitable imaging CCD camera and guide camera. I'd be tempted to keep it and find another way of funding just the autoguider.

If the AP bug really bites, you will want to move on to a cooled CCD camera but many fine images are captured by ordinary DSLR cameras so this is a great place to start from.

Look at getting it mod'd and compare that to the price of a CCD.

Also look at the 2nd hand price of  a Canon 60D. There will be quite a few going on the market this time of year or in the new year as people sell on. Would you get a good price?

If you can and can cover the CCD & autoguider then you have a good choice to make.

And welcome to SGL...

Welcome to SGL and welcome to the land of imaging and compromise!!

Personally, I'd go for a CCD every time. There are some good DSLR images out there, don't get me wrong, but mono CCD is very much for versatile (and expensive, once you have factored in a filter wheel and filters). Some think that mono imaging is difficult to process. Having used the full gamut of camera's (DSLR, modded DSLR, OSC CCD and mono CCD) I find that the mono is so very much easier to process. Also, you can use narrowband filters to combat light pollution and increase versatility.

Guiding is a very worthwhile addition to your imaging arsenal. Being able to capture long exposures will take you to the next level, of that there is no doubt.

Think carefully about what you ultimately want to achieve in imaging and run from there.

I'll just save up for the other stuff later.

You are starting down a slippery slope like the rest of us who are interested in AP!! Make your first purchase an auto-guider but be prepared to fund the following in the future:-

1. Heavier duty equatorial mount (really this should be the first purchase but you are already on the road with the SkyView)

2. CCD camera - one day, you will, honest!

The reason I am suggesting the auto-guider as your next purchase is that having committed to the SkyView and already having the 60D, you'll want to get the best out of them and the way to do that is to ensure the best tracking you can get.

I'm with Sara and Steve, I guess. I don't want to put words in their mouths but I see DSLR as a dead end. It will take you so far, which is not very far but is certainly not nowhere. I'm not saying that. Then you get going and get into CCD, which is where it all happens. Yup, sorry, but that is what I think and the whole point of forums is to give folks an opportunity to say what they think.

Guiding? Do it or mess about. (Or spend the price of a good family car on your mount.)

Olly

Eventually ill either get a orion Atlas or Sirius but for now having picked up the GoTo version of the SkyView Pro I don't think I did half bad. I'm already making a list of what I want next as far as guiding and ccd's. I'll stick with the camera and mount I have for now, just to get my feet wet.

Archived