Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Possible iss transit of Jupiter??

riggers69

The ISS will be in the earth's shadow, but it certainly looks to be in the Jupiter area just before 20.30 for my London location.  It would be extraordinary to capture a Jupiter transit!

Sadly I'm not going to be able to get far enough south to catch it, but it does look as though folk at a latitude of 51.32 degrees north might be in with a shout.

Without putting pen to paper and befuddling myself with numbers I'm sure that, as seen along a very narrow path, ISS will transit (or more like eclipse !) Jupiter. Tricky to follow and time if ISS is in shadow too.

It will be a very narrow path of visibility. Slight errors in timing and location will significantly affect the prospect of spotting it.

Perhaps if further research suggests that it might be a goer the best way to observe it would be using video. 

When an asteroid is forecast to transit a star, serious observers might form a team and position themselves along a line perpendicular to the predicted path so that even with errors in the prediction one of them is likely to see the transit.

In the case of Stellarium and ISS/Jupiter I would suggest that the the margin of error will be in the order of miles north or south of the predicted path.

I've read that the "shadow" would be around 100m wide and the transit would last about 0.01 seconds, so a degree of precision and a high frame-rate camera would be needed.

Hmmm, I have all that, but not the info! Would have been a great capture!

Theirry Legault would likely have caught it if so anyway?

Archived