Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Shots....

...and am not that happy.

Focus is off and need to sort out my exposure, but for a quick and very first grab, am hopeful that things can only get better from here on in.  Have the Nikon wireless link so can set up live view on my tab to get the image sorted before pressing the shutter.

Image has not been edited in anyway (apart from conversion from RAW to JPEG)

th_Moon.jpg

Does make wonder though if I will be able to image any DSO's with my scope and camera......

You should be happy, it's really good for a first shot! :) We've all been there and you already know what to improve for your next shot.

What Nikon model and scope are you using? I'm sure you'll get some nice DSO shots, just hang in there :)

/Patrik

You should be happy, it's really good for a first shot! :) We've all been there and you already know what to improve for your next shot.

What Nikon model and scope are you using? I'm sure you'll get some nice DSO shots, just hang in there :)

/Patrik

Cheers Patrik... appreciate the comment.

Is your tablet Android?

try this...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dslr.dashboard

It let's you control your cam far better than Nikon's own software and its free

Knobby ... have downloaded that app (and the extra bit it was asking me to install too) and will try it out later when I get home and dig out my USB OTG adaptor.  Should be quite useable as have the Galaxy Note 10.1, so can use the S-Pen to do some fine tuning if it gets cold and need to wear my gloves.  Hopefully have got a USB extension cable somewhere in the house too.

I take it the best bet for getting some DSO images is 30 sec exposures and then stack them using software, or owuld I be able to get away with longer exposures with my set up?  Have to admit, the moon was tracking very well last night.  Put a few eyepieces in to view moon and was rather impressed with what I could see.... was just a bit on teh bright side and left me with a dim eye for a few minutes .... another lesson learnt there :rolleyes:

I take it the best bet for getting some DSO images is 30 sec exposures and then stack them using software, or owuld I be able to get away with longer exposures with my set up?  Have to admit, the moon was tracking very well last night.  Put a few eyepieces in to view moon and was rather impressed with what I could see.... was just a bit on teh bright side and left me with a dim eye for a few minutes .... another lesson learnt there :rolleyes:

30 sec unguided should be no problem at all with an 8" and the AVX (provided you do a good polar alignment). When unguided I usually take at least 60 sec exposures using my 6" and AVX, but could go for longer.

/Patrik

...forgot: if you don't want to use a USB OTG you could use a WU-1a wifi-adapter with the D7100. I use one with my D5200 and DSLRdashboard. Pretty cool to see the liveview and control the exposures on the phone :)

already have that adaptor, was not aware I could use it with the DSLRDashboard, makes life much easier now.  Could even go as far as being lazy and set-up then nip into the house to take the exposures :-)

Have not gone as far as doing a polar align yet as mainly been setting up in my back garden and there is not much of a view of the north from there. 

With the ASPA (all star polar alignment) routine on the Celestrons you don't need a clear view to the north or polaris. Here's how I do it: link And if I have no view to the south I use some other random, bright, star. This is usually enough for 60s exposures with the AVX

Archived