NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

When the Wind Blows - Sun in white light, 8/12/2013

Luke

It was a bit of a funny day for imaging. No luck with high-res white light shots, thanks to Ms. Wind... :rolleyes: I ended up switching from my 120mm to my more wind-proof 80mm.

But my luck was in in other ways. I noticed something clipped the solar disc while I was recording. I thought I might have caught a small piece of an airplane that was relatively large on the disc. It turned out I got more than a small piece :laugh:

11280526064_aae54b71b7_c.jpg

11280546526_bff2916faa_c.jpg

11280053246_6d908668ac_c.jpg

Now if one of those World War 2 fighters we sometimes get passing our way would oblige, I would be most grateful :grin:

---

8/12/2013
Onyx ED80 / Grasshopper 3 (ICX687) / Baader Herschel Wedge

Great stuff ...  :laugh:

Perfectly timed post to take the edge off the Ashes ....  :p

I had three dead centre transits today while I was watching Liveview waiting for thin cloud to clear , a Hercules and two Ospreys , no captures though ...  :embarassed:

There's another big spot just coming into view , a more likely candidate to be 11899 methinks ....  :laugh:

Thanks, Steve, Michael and Alexandra, most kind :smiley: Wow, Steve, would be cool if you could nad one of those aircraft :laugh:

Steve, I don't follow cricket that closely, but even I'm wincing at the news coming through on the radio in the mornings :eek: Surely that sort of news should come after the watershed :grin:

Alexandra, oops, probably my bad, not flickr's. The transit image should be:

11280053246_90ab45083e_c.jpg

It was nice to see such sharp detail on the plane with the fast exposure time for white light :laugh:  I could even see some dangly wire bit on the plane, wonder if I need to let the pilot know :p

Just one left flying I believe , saw him last year as he went back to base after Southend or Lowestoft airshow , lovely gentle low speed , low altitude pass .

XH558 ...Doncaster  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337573/Saved-Britain-Last-flying-Vulcan-stay-skies-friends-raise-money-technological-breakthrough.html

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Nice clean image Luke.

Nice little plane, looks like a Piper Warrior or Cherokee. The bit dangling down is probably an antenna for either the radio or the navigation receiver.

Alexandra, we should all be off to the south for the winter, get some of the suns rays on our skin. I am off in a couple of weeks time, but Mrs DrRobin has said no telescopes and I don't think even I can sneak my Lunt and mount in the case.

The Vulcan flew over my house a couple of years ago after taking off from Newcastle airport. It sort of lumbered in to the sky with a fair amount of black smoke coming out the back. Perhaps it needs an engine tune up at the local Krypton tune station.

Robin

Archived