Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 1st time identifying M35-38

MYLUCKYSTARS

After feeling a little frustrated looking for M1 I ended up just panning near & in Auriga(it's a nice area near the band of the Milky Way & lots of stars) & unintentionally found M37 I didn't know what it was at the time though I could tell it looks quite significant went on my PC found out what it was & that M35,36,38 wear near by, then within a few mins I found/identified all of them it's the quickest I've found/identified so many Messier object & I'm not very good at identifying Open Cluster. I like how easy it is to go left & right in azimuth & see M37, 36, 38. This have been one of my favourite findings & night of doing Astronomy.

Spooky matey ! M38,M36 and M37 were the first things I saw starting out with a Heritage. Couldn't beleive what I was seeing. Still a good star party trick, start with M38, drop straight down to M36 then down and left for the last one. Ilike M35 for it's long star chains.

M1 is a bit of a visual let down, with so much interest and history , it's just a stretched fuzz at best !

Nick.

Sounds like a great night. I saw these targets on my third astro session in 6" Newtonian. Saw them grouped together on the star chart and couldn't pass them up being so close. Didn't take long to find and was a wonderful sight, especially since I'm not usually fussed about open clusters too much.

Just as Nick said, M1 really is a bit of a let down visually. Wonderful object and quite unique, but it really is a bit of fuzz that, in my 6" at a rural sky, is a little bit noticeable from the structure. But, it took me quite a while to find manually, and once I found it I wasn't quite sure if I was looking at the right thing or not.

They are great aren't they ?. I think M35 is amongst my favourites in that lot. if you can get the 130p to a dark site it will have loads of stars and see NGC 2158 nicely in the same view, a little fuzzy neighbour. I love those two for the price of one targets  :smiley:

These are great targets for sure! Nice bag of goodies and they reward longer observations. I have to shroud my eyes around the EP to start to see the faint stuff. I don't tend to see much color differences in these stars like you see in photos but then I'm colorblind!

Archived