NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hexagonal honeycomb in eye piece

Rapallokid

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a 12" revelation dob and have been using a couple of Celestron  x - cel  LX eyepieces regularly.

They  25mm  and 9mm.

I have no problem with the 25mm but when I switch to the 9mm I see a very feint hexagonal or honeycomb in the eyepiece . it comes and goes when I move my eye but it is frustrating.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this and is there a cure?

Many thanks.

RK

When you see the pattern, if you rotate the eyepiece in the focuser does the pattern rotate also?  If so then the issue is in the optics of the eyepiece.  If it does not rotate then you are picking up a reflections from someplace above or below the eyepiece.

Hi Shaun, it has done it since I have bought it. I tried to ignore it but it is bugging me . I was thinking about trying a different brand of EP still at 9mm. it still happens when I extend the relief at the top.

Thanks BillP I will try that next time I am out, at least I will know where the problem is originating from .

Happy-Kat, was it a reflection in the eyepiece? I will have to see if it happens next time I am in a rural location.

RK

Archived