NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First blast at Jupiter with the dslr and 3x barlow.

NIGHTBOY

tbf after watching the video that Pipp produced the focus is pretty terrible. Must buy a mask....

So how quickly and how long for do I need to film Jupiter until the rotation will mess things up?? (whils using a 3x barlow I can film around 15 seconds at a time)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing james whilst I've got you here...

Is it always best to use the Quality option in pipp?

When using manual align points in as!2 on an image this size, how may points should I be setting? I used 7 on this one, 2 at the top and bottom of the middle bands, one in the centre and one on each side

Another thing james whilst I've got you here...

Is it always best to use the Quality option in pipp?

When using manual align points in as!2 on an image this size, how may points should I be setting? I used 7 on this one, 2 at the top and bottom of the middle bands, one in the centre and one on each side

I tend to use PIPP for centering and cropping images (at least for planetary) and then let AS!2 deal with the rest.

James

Ok great, I take it that with Jupiter this has to be done inside 2 minutes as the rotation messes things up???

Pretty much, according Damien Peach, who mentioned it in his talk on planetary imaging in Bristol a few weeks ago.

Pretty much, according Damien Peach, who mentioned it in his talk on planetary imaging in Bristol a few weeks ago.

Assuming you're using a fairly optimal setup, I'd suggest.  If you're undersampling the image a fair bit (as the OP will be in this case) then you can extend the amount of time over which you collect data.  It's also  dependent on the apparent angular diameter of the target and how much error you're prepared to tolerate due to rotation.

James

Please take into account that I will be pausing the video and moving the scope so all this including filming needs to take place within 4 mins??

Ideally you'd not bother pausing the video.  Just allow the planet to drift from one side of the image to the other, then nudge the scope back to get the planet back to the other side again.  That might well take a fair bit of practice though.

James

Great stuff. So even people that have tracking scopes etc never film Jupiter for longer than 4 mins because of the rotation??

As I said, it depends on a number of factors.  Generally though, those people who have kit suited to planetary imaging will quite possibly not be getting even close to four minutes.  I go for about two and a half at the most.  Others using mono cameras will be trying to do three separate runs with three different filters in the same kind of timescale.

You can afford to take longer because you're working at a more restricted focal length so the effect of rotation will take longer to show.

James

I think some weight on the back of the scope woul also help when the camera attached to it, everything I loosen he handle the whole lot just wants to tip forward and when you set it it kind of moves abit as it settles.

Ahh I see. As for not pausing the video when moving the scope, won't the frames that have the planet wobbling back through the viewfinder as I'm 'resetting' the scope mess things up a little??

Being very low quality frames they should get dropped by the stacking application.

James

Do you know if people put weights on the other end so you don't have to lock/tighten the scope every time you move it?

Yes, it's quite common for people to balance the scope so it stays where it's put.  If you look at many of the DIY designs posted here they have no means for locking the OTA in position at all.

James

Thank you James, I'm at work atm so can't really look. What do people use, how do they fix them on???

All sorts of different methods get used.  It's probably worth having a search through the DIY section to see what people have done.

James

Archived