NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New user, new scope, what star have I found?

giltbrook

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not in the south west at 18:30.  I'd say it was more likely to be Venus.

James

I think you may well be right there James, I really only considered appearance and not the time of observation...

Note to self "learn to read properly"... Lol

Hi Giltbrook - welcome to SGL...

You mentioned in your OP that you noticed this star when looking out a window. Did you set up your scope / camera inside, pointing out a window? If so, that would explain the image somewhat...

Yes, it was inside, and with the window closed, (so through the glass), I did wonder about the glass distorting or affecting it, especially through double glazing, but the image itself was slowly crossing the stationary lens as it should do, so I thought I must have a good one :smiley:   I have tried the set-up again today in daylight, and to get a good camera image, the camera lens needs to be directly in contact with the eyepiece housing, (which I don't think it was yesterday), so Paul M seems to have nailed that one exactly in post #16. Thanks to all on here, at least I have a bit of a clue what I am doing now, so I might aim for something a bit less ambitious next, probably try and get the Chineese moon landing :smiley:

Thanks again to all those that have posted help, and welcomes.

I have downloaded Stellarium, and managed to set it up with my coordinates, so at least I know what is in the sky around me now, and how to find it. It is amazing that intricate, but relatively easy to understand programmes, like Stellarium, are available for free to use by everyone, they make the learning curve so much easier to climb, so well done to all those involved in such programmes.

Archived