Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Braun 10x56 ED Binos

RedSpot

Hi All,

I've had good service out of my Olympus 10x50 DPSIs but I am now looking at upgrading to something which is a bit better in IQ.  They would still need to be a sensible size so that they can be used handheld.  I had been scouting around the dearer Olympus and Pentax models but I came across the Braun 10x56 ED Binos which are around the max sort of money that I am looking to spend and at 56mm are not too unwieldy to cart around and use.  However, there is hardly any impartial info out there.  Has anyone used this these before or have any experience of Braun binos generally.

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi, I'm assuming that these are the ones:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-10x56-Series-Premium-Binoculars/dp/B005G3AANI

If so - (a few "ifs" to folow) although I have not heard of Braun binoculars before,I think thay may be  these BW3s made by United Optics (Kunming). Many suppliers market United Optics equipment under different badges. Thats not to say they are bad - just look at the rave reviews of the Helios Apollos 15x70s which are UO BA8s.

If they are they will be the same as these: (except different colour and a huge difference in price)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/barr-stroud-binoculars/b-s-savannah-ED-56.html

And I think these are the same as Vortex Vulture 10x56EDs and Hawke Prostalk 10x56s.

I bought the Barr & Stroud 10x56s and used them for a little while and they very good indeed. Sturdily made with good optics and coatings - they give a bright contrasty and very sharp image- (I'd guess a good sharp image across about 75% of the image). They feel lovely in the hands (despite their size) and the views I had of M31 and M42 were/are the best I've seen through binoculars - showing a surprising amount of nebulosity.

However I eventually returned them swapping them for Williams Optics (BA8) 10x50s. This was purely because I found the diopter adjuster didn't suit my particular preferences when viewing without my specs - a personal issue. Having now used the WO 10x50s for a while I still see the B&Ss as very good binoculars and a good buy. 

The last if - if the Brauns are BW3s - don't pay £337 for them!

Could they not be the same optics though (i.e. W3 optics in a slightly different casing).  The specs look identical, unless that's a huge co-incidence.  I think I'm going to opt for the B&Ss though, seems to be well regarded throughout.

The body colour doesn't mean anything, the way optics companies trade with each other.  There are always tweaks to the appearance of scopes and binos which are essentially the same kit.  These look like BW3s to me (specs identical and the general appearance) and they are a great set of binos by the way.  Obviously no point in buying the Braun ones when the Barrs are so much cheaper.

Hi again, I'm under the impression that United Optics customise products to individual suppliers needs - but whether that extends to cpolour I don't know. One thing - and this is not an advert - FLO will sell you B&S 10x56EDs on 30 days approval terms - so If they are not up to waht you expect they should take them back. My experience of their customer support is that its second to none.

Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived