NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HELP! CG5-GT Mount clutch screw sheared off

mistuk

Shouldn't be a big problem to remove Kev.

Try to buy, or borrow a small easy out tool. They can be bought in various sizes. They are a conical shape, with  spiral protrusions that extend all the way down the length of them. .Drill a small hole into the broken screws body.  Insert the tool, and lightly tap it into the pre drilled hole. Using a small adjustable wrench, with which you can turn the tool anti clockwise, this will cause the spirals to bite into the hole, and eventually, the broken screw will become unscrewed. 

Job Done.

You should be able to buy another screw suitable for the job locally at a hardware factors, or light engineering factors.

Tke the old screw with you to determine the correct thread, I woul guess it will be an M6 or in that vicinity.

It has taken longer to write this, than it will take you to remove that busted screw :grin: .

Good luck. 

Ron.

PS.

Don't drill the hole too large, just big enough to let about .25" into the hole. If the hole is too big, it might allow the tool to spread the broken bolt, and make it difficult to remove.

I have a spare CG5-ASGT clutch should you need any parts but I think it would be a standard screw for a few pence. You can get those screw extractors for a few quid at a good hardware store

PS when extracting the screw remember there is a black plastic friction plate on the hidden side of the screw so it might grip

Just checked - it comes apart easy - see pics

post-9935-0-99237700-1385915417_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-00578200-1385915443_thumb.jp

Thanks for your input both. I've found a local chap who has his own workshop who is going to try and extract the screw for me - or if not can make me a replacement brass clutch bolt (if that's the right name). My CG-5 GT is an astrobuysell purchase - I'm wondering if it's had a bit of a hard life.......

I think I'd be more inclined to blame the problem on the quality of materials used to manufacture the mount than a subsequent hard life.

Could be that it's been removed before and was threadlocked or corroded into the brass, being weakened when it was undone or done up again, I guess.

James

Indeed, the CG5 metal is quite soft, I split the screw holes on my Dec axis by over tightening the screws at an angle when putting the saddle on (I was taking a short cut rather than being careful)

By good luck I found someone on ebay selling a CG5 in parts so I bought the gears and the dec axle which is how I ended up with some spares

Well I've decided to disassemble the mount and re-grease. It's nowhere as bad inside as I feared - it looks like it may have had some re-greasing before.

I used AstronomyBoy's instructions along with Michael Harrison's CG5-GT differences.

I've only done the Dec axis so far - it was easy and I'm not at all mechanically minded (so far - not tried re-building it yet!), and seemed to be hardly any wear. There didn't seem to be many plastic washers on mine - and yes, I did check in the grease.

The bits are cleaned and ready for re-greasing.....

I'm going to write up my experience and include the differences I've found so far....

By the way - I used Finesse Multi-clean as the de-greaser from my local bike shop - it's been excellent!

post-25870-0-03973200-1386330517_thumb.j

Archived