Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead in 20 seconds !

nytecam

Wow - last night the first clear night in a fortnight so quick session from scope in my LP London garden on the Horsehead and more.    The 60s shots of HH clearly showed it dark form but when I checked my alignments shots to centre the field taken in 20s exposure loop - there it was [below] - incredible.  :police:

When we've had some breakfast I check and post some better / longer exp shots !

post-21003-0-40887500-1385801235_thumb.j

Thanks Paul -  yes correct - no filters used.  The HH is still a very difficult object for me to record [here rising in SE] and I must repeat when clear of trees early next year.  Note how the red channel [right image] acts a 'poor man's H-alpha filter' that highlights this object :police:

post-21003-0-74418400-1385827729_thumb.j

THanks Paul - I'd like to make the visually ellusive Horsehead a routine object in brief exposure - here's a pair from earlier this week in 30s loop where the rising HH was clearly visible on laptop screen and 8x30s stack [=240s] - I think a satisfying result :police:

post-21003-0-34718600-1386434857_thumb.j

Hi Paul: vignetting becomes more evident when you are fighting a brighter background sky. If Maurice was at a dark site on a moonless night it would be hard to detect. Filters and flat frames can help as well. Getting anything from London is amazing regardless. Kudos to Maurice....Dwight

Nice work, once I am able I will try HH with my new setup. You have inspired me.

Thanks Ed - we [Forum collective !] would like to see results from both your Lodestar and Mallincam on the Horsehead if that is possible - good luck :police:

• 2 weeks later...

the next time I set up I plan to image with both my DSLR and the Starlight Xpress Lodestar on the 11" edgeHD and the guidescope out of curiosity of what will come out. Not sure of targets yet.

Sounds good - keep us posted :-)

Archived