Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maxim Histogram advice

Hi all

Just wondering how far I can push my exposure times with my new kit (news tomorrow :D ). Right now my histograms look like this:

rosette_histogram.gif

What wouldan ideal histogramlook like? where should the right hand sidetail offto nothing? 1/3rd of the way across from the right? halfway? I`m in the unusual position of having to be careful of not over exposing my subs and making blobby stars, but some advice would be helpful right now.

Sorry Steve, I would be delighted to be able to advise you, but you may as well be asking If I could make you an Atomic Bomb.

You are going to need an experienced imager to answer this one for you I guess, and I have not passed Go yet.

As that Histogram is out of Maxim , I need schooling on it myself, so I will be looking out for the replies coming in.

Ron.

Good question Steve. I use the info window in maxim and run a cursor over the stars to see whether the stars are getting saturated. I don't worry if one or 2 are saturated but if all the brighter stars are at >65000 then you are going to loose star colour and the image will suffer. I've found that I'm hopeless at judging star saturation by eye alone.

Archived