Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130

With a tight budget of £150, I have been searching for a scope and stand to start out on this hobby.

As is usual when I decide on an expensive purchase, I have been reading several reviews and advice for a while now. Eventually I decided on a Skywatcher Explorer 130. Although still new to this, I am aware that if the model includes a 'P', it's a parabolic mirror, and the 'M' has a motor to keep it aligned. With this limited knowledge, I decided that I couldn't keep to the £150 budget and stuck another £50 in the kitty.

So, with my budget upped to £200, and wanting the 130MP, I then wanted to stretch my 'want' list further by getting a better mount than the EQ2 that seems to be standard with this scope. From my research, I believe that the EQ3-2 mount is a better option if you are thinking about photography. Now, I am not expecting awsome images with this kit. What I am wanting, is to have a decent play and see where it leads.

So my shopping list consists of:

Skywatcher Explorer 130MP and EQ3-2 mount.

I was struggling to find this kit for under £200, until the following came up on Amazon the other day:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYHSZ90

It mentions the magic words 'parabolic mirror' and has the mount I was after. When I first spotted this, there were 15 in stock. Half a day later, there was one showing in stock, so I bought it!

I am just a little concerned that the model name is listed as 130M with parabolic mirror, instead of 130MP

I have just over a week to wait for it to arrive, so thought I'd get some opinions here while I wait. Have I bought what I wanted, or just blown my budget on the wrong model?

Although the description says it has an EQ3-2 mount the photo shows an EQ2 mount.

I had noticed that the mount looked identical to EQ2s I'd seen images of. If it does come as an EQ2, they can have it back, and I start my search again.

I'm thinking about buying the same telescope (as my first) and I'm slightly exasperated at the lack of precision in the shop descriptions. Can someone outline how many Explorer 130's there are? Or point me to a source? I even looked on the Skywatcher webpage, but it wasn't very clear. Can I ask how important the mount is? And what the difference is between the EQ2 and EQ3-2?  Thanks!

And what the difference is between the EQ2 and EQ3-2?  Thanks!

Please remember that I am a complete novice.

From what I have read, the EQ2 mount is an adequate one. Some people do complain that it is a bit flimsy. If you want to attach a DSLR to your scope, this mount isn't strong or stable enough to do this safely.

The EQ3-2 mount is a (bigger?) more stable and more substantial mount, allowing you to attach a camera to your scope without being too worried about stability.

Now, this all comes at a price. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for". This is the problem I created for myself, as I didn't want the cheaper EQ2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what I have purchased matches the description and not the image!

I'm thinking about buying the same telescope (as my first) and I'm slightly exasperated at the lack of precision in the shop descriptions. Can someone outline how many Explorer 130's there are? Or point me to a source? I even looked on the Skywatcher webpage, but it wasn't very clear.

I could have done this answer in my last post... oh well. Must pay attention to what I'm doing next time!

Once again, this might be inaccurate. My knowledge is limited.

I believe you can get the following versions of the Explorer 130:

Couldn't find the 'delete my last post' button... please ignore that one above.

I'm thinking about buying the same telescope (as my first) and I'm slightly exasperated at the lack of precision in the shop descriptions. Can someone outline how many Explorer 130's there are? Or point me to a source? I even looked on the Skywatcher webpage, but it wasn't very clear. Can I ask how important the mount is? And what the difference is between the EQ2 and EQ3-2?  Thanks!

I could have done this answer in my last post... oh well. Must pay attention to what I'm doing next time!

Once again, this might be inaccurate. My knowledge is limited.

I believe you can get the following versions of the Explorer 130:

130 - The basic model without the parabolic mirror or the motorised mount.

130M - The same basic model but with the motorised mount.

130P - You now have a parabolic mirror but not a motorised mount.

130MP - Parabolic mirror and motorised mount.

You can then get different mounts with them.

Although the description says it has an EQ3-2 mount the photo shows an EQ2 mount.

Well, the scope and stand arrived today, and the photo was right, it was an EQ2 mount. I've already arranged to have it sent back - this will be happening tomorrow.

My next trick was to pull a few pounds out of thin air to increase my budget. So without taking the 130 out of it's box I am upgrading it to a 150PL. :smiley:

Out of interest I have the Skywatcher PDS and an EQ2 mount (bought separately) AND I mount a DSLR, albeit a micro four thirds camera.

It's not the best mount or scope but for starting out or trying to find out whether or not your interested in braving the cold nights it's a pretty decent set up.

This is a hobby where there doesn't appear to be an upper limit so be realistic about what you want it for.

Out of interest I have the Skywatcher PDS and an EQ2 mount (bought separately) AND I mount a DSLR, albeit a micro four thirds camera.

It's not the best mount or scope but for starting out or trying to find out whether or not your interested in braving the cold nights it's a pretty decent set up.

This is a hobby where there doesn't appear to be an upper limit so be realistic about what you want it for.

Having spent some more time reading up on the photography, it appears that quite a few people manage perfectly well with the smaller mounts. I'm guessing the 130 on an EQ2 has the same issues as the 150 on an EQ3-2 - a bit wobbly.

The main reason for returning the scope was that I didn't receive what I'd ordered. I can get the same kit that Amazon sent me from here: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130m.html for a bit less.

Always go to a dedicated astronomy retailer, you will get much better service and sound advice.  FLO usually deliver next day btw.

That lesson has now been learnt and will be remembered for future purchases :smiley:

Anybody else reading this, take note of this lesson.

Have read...will follow!  Hope you enjoy your new telescope Nebula. Thanks to all for advice. I am getting nearer purchase...or am I? Never having seen these telescopes in the flesh, I am imagining their size. I just read from someone that they were far more likely to take their little Meade EXT outside for observing than their bigger (better?) telescopes. Realistically (and as a complete beginner) would I be better going for one of the Meades? Any views?

Archived