NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Turn left At Orion

yeletah

Great book, however one question.

All the star finder charts are upside down (S-N) and reversed (E-W), which is correct for my 2 lens star finder, so all matches ok, however the northern hemisphere objects chapter in the book - the star finder charts have N-S as the right way round as if you are expected to use binnoculars? in relation to N-S, (E-W are still shown reversed).

why did the authors do this? the starfinder is still the same?

or am missing something?

Thanks

Steve

Having difficulty understanding your explanation.

The first naked eye chart is presented exactly as you will see if you look up.

The second finderscope view is presented as seen through a normal straight through finder or Newtonian telescope.

The telescope view is as seen through a refractor with a diagonal. 

Just got the book myself. Read all the stuff in the intro before the charts and things. He explains it all quite clearly. A little confusing but makes sense. Remember a Newtonian reflector flips everything upside down. This book will surely help you (and me!) find things to look at.  

yeletah............well spotted! Its a little confusing, but its designed to connect those charts with the naked eye views for the other seasons. It does work? Check out page 184. They start to explain why this issue is featured for the Northern Skies, only,  and how it `feels more natural` for `most` telescope users when you have the book at the telescope whilst observing. They also specify that "If thats too complicated to follow, just trust us". Your going to have to read it a couple of times to get your head around it, then take the book to the scope, and check the results. Hope this helps  :confused:

Thanks for the replies,

its a strange concept, especially once you have become used to or familliar  with all the other star finder charts! why suddenly change it, my star finder is still the same!

i turned the book so N-S were opposie to get the match.

Archived