Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Monopod advice pls

Okeydokey

My next investment, a monopod or any pod to be honest that will steady my view.   I like to sit down when viewing and a tripod may well not be that comfortable to position so I am looking towards a monopod.  Curiously the price for a stick with a bino connection can vary from little to hundreds.  Any thing to watch out for?  Or product recommendations.  The bins are only 8x56 but with age I grow steadily weaker, it would be great if there was a quick release type mechanism.

Many thanks

Damo's recommendation of the Giottos monopod is a good one. Another worth considering is the Manfrotto 379 -- I prefer the latter because it has fewer sections, which means that the bottom section is thicker. OTOH, the Giottos is more compact. The Manfrotto has adjustable tension clamps on the legs; they do eventually get slacker with age and use, so the ability to tighten them up is essential. I assume, but don't know that the Giottos has the same. Damo? I started off with the cheap 7-day shop monopod but, within less than a year, the unadjustable leg clamps ad slackened sufficiently that it became a nuisance to use (Old adage: buy cheap, buy twice).

Best head is a trigger-grip ball-head (can sometimes get it cheaper on Ebay from a Polish outfit called Mike's Photo).

Some other mounting ideas on my mounting page.

The Manfrotto has adjustable tension clamps on the legs; they do eventually get slacker with age and use, so the ability to tighten them up is essential. I assume, but don't know that the Giottos has the same. Damo?

Yep, the Giottos clamps are also adjustable Steve.

Got the same one, very pleased.

Archived