Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

there is always something

asset189

.....Up there to put a smile on your face.

I got up early this morning intent on finding comet ison with my 15x70 bins. We are talking 5am e a rly and despite my best efforts no luck with elusive ison. Dissapointed but not totally surprised i then spent some time seeking out comet linear x1 around Arcturus, again no luck, the bright moonlight was really interfering with things. Lovejoy was next on the list and was still an easy find midway between leo and the plough but again the moonlight prevented me seeing much detail. Now the ISS , totally missed the pass for some reason but all was not lost as things begsn to lighten in the east. At 0629 i saw a spectacular iridium flare bursting out of the north at a big bright -7.9 mag. Almost in line with polaris this was as good and spectacular flare as ive seen. So despite the dissapointment of not finding ison it was still a worthwhile we session before work.

Saw an other great iridium flare this morning 0622 hrs again bust into life beside polaris in yhe region of -4.9 mag. When they arebright they are really bright and a quite a spectacle to introduce someone to our hobby. The current iss finder app for mobiles and tablets is accurate taking the data from heavens above website and you could set your watch by the timings!

Caught an iridium while setting up last night , just checking Polaris alignment, when a great flash of light. Got in a few hours before the Moon and clouds rolled in.

Found a lovely triple system in Camelopardarlis with yet another double double here and in Taurus.

Afraid I get a silly grin when splitting tight binary stars,

Nick.

Archived