NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a bit of 'scope advice

I've been doing some homework and considering what I might go for in terms of a first telescope. My current thinking is pointing me towards a <a href="http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/detail.php?id=108">Skywatcher Explorer-150 (EQ3-2)</a>, along with a dual axis DC motor drive to fit the mount.

I'm interested in being able to observe lunar and planetary stuff, and also to pick off the more accessible deep-sky bits and bobs. Would also be interested in dabbling in some astrophotography.

Anyone on here have any views on this equipment for these purposes?

cheers!

Ian

Well Ian, the scope is a 6" f5, which is a decent setup for astro photography. You will certainly be OK with Lunar Imaging, and the major planets.

Jupiter Saturn, and Mars is in a favourable position at this time. The mount you have including tripod, may be a weakness as regards deep sky imaging, where stability is a must. The deep sky targets will all need longer exposures than the Lunar/ planetary ones do.

The telescope is a decent instrument though, and will provide you with some good observations of deep sky objects, Nebulae, Some galaxies,

Open and globular clusters.

Ron. :D

Thanks Ron,

My first priority is to get a good scope for observing; I may get into imaging at a later date (e.g. I don't even have a DSLR at present!) so I guess I could upgrade the tripod / mount as and when....?

Wondering if there are better alternatives out there for the money, in case I've missed them?

For purely observing I dont think you can beat a Dob. Known as lightbuckets these simple to use scopes are fantastic for deep space objects. I have a 10" lightbridge which I love to bits. It takes me 5 minutes to set up and Im off scanning the skies for faint fuzzies. None of that tedious polar aligning with your fingers crossed in case the guidance decides to throw a hissy fit. The Dobsonian gives you more apeture for your money.

Its been fantastic for learning the skies with, you have to hunt down your targets, manually as God intended. :D

However its no good for photography. I suppose its possible to mount them on a drive mount but its probably cheaper to just get a scope for photography.

Thanks CB

Yep, I'm all for exploring the sky manually...I'm sure GOTO scopes are great, but somehow it feels like they must take some of the fun out of it all....?? :D

A 10" beast sounds pretty big to me - some degree of portability will be quite important I think...so much to think about!!

Portability is a great issue. I carry the lightbridge out in two parts and assemble it in the dark. I'm not the strongest of blokes but its easy enough to carry over short distances. Setting up was a little awkward at first but now its easy. 5 minutes tops including colimination

My first scope was a go-to scope, an etx-90, and it did kindle my interest but the lightbridge came as an eyeopener. Of course the mirror is much bigger so you can see more, but I really felt as though I was learning the skies better by finding objects by myself rather than let a computer do it for me. I feel that the "thrill of the hunt" is nearly half my enjoyment. And its faster too!

Of course the downside is no photography but its a price I'm willing to pay (at least for now!) I'm having great fun with this scope, before I bought it, I knew about astronomy but I wasn't an astronomer.

Anyway don't rush into buying, as its so easy to make a mistake. Think long and hard. Keep asking questions but don't expect definitive answers. Its the biggest hobby in the universe and everyone goes about it in his or her own way.

Please don't knock goto!!! :shock:

To us poor souls trapped under terrible light pollution goto is almost mandatory.

I'm afraid I got fed up struggling to find objects, not find them and go back indoors totally frustrated and annoyed. :D

--

Martyn

Thanks all - fortunately light pollution isn't too bad where I live (on the edge of a town) and there are quite a few dark sky sites within a quick drive from my house...

I'm hoping to get along to my local AS soon, so with any luck I'll be able to see some kit in action. Should help with the decision making!

I'm not knocking go-to. Well ok maybe a little. :D But I am just pointing out alternatives. I did also add.......

Its the biggest hobby in the universe and everyone goes about it in his or her own way.

Seeing kit in action is the best way to go, Ian.

I have a similar scope to yours, a C6N. It is actually quite good on DSOs, especially if you can get a decent sky. In dark skies I have seen the two satellite galaxiies of the Andromeda galaxy, and star clusters and doubles are easy. It performs well on the Moon, but my 105mm refractor has the edge when it comes to looking at planets. Still, it's not bad.

I am planning to get goto for the C6N, because of the extreme light pollution and my bad eyesight. It is a very good choice for a starter scope, or even for one to keep awhile.

Archived