Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCD camera cooler 'off' !

cloudbuster

good morning all!

i just had my best ever imaging session....nearly! i managed to rattle-off 31 subs in 03 of the tadpoles, at 13 minutes each....great except, i realized when it came to warming up my atik 314, that the cooler was 'off'. ive just done a quick stretch in pixinsight....without the flats, and they dont seem too noisy....but i wondered if, in your opinions, all was lost?

cheers

bob

I discovered that the cooler on my first ever CCD, an Atik 16HR, had never worked. I bought the camera in the late autumn and it wasn't till around April the following year that I noticed any problem. The winter nights are cold here, plenty cold enough for me to image without using darks. However, the hot weather comes along quickly in the Spring and then all hell broke loose in the noise department!  Rui Tripa in Portugal was his usual marvellous self and turned the repair round literally overnight to get me back in business.

So if it wasn't too warm your data should be fine. The new darks are a good idea. A liberal application of hot pixel filter would also be wise.

Olly

PS, If I forget the cooler now, with the Kodak chips, it's curtains...

I discovered that the cooler on my first ever CCD, an Atik 16HR, had never worked. I bought the camera in the late autumn and it wasn't till around April the following year that I noticed any problem. The winter nights are cold here, plenty cold enough for me to image without using darks. However, the hot weather comes along quickly in the Spring and then all hell broke loose in the noise department!  Rui Tripa in Portugal was his usual marvellous self and turned the repair round literally overnight to get me back in business.

So if it wasn't too warm your data should be fine. The new darks are a good idea. A liberal application of hot pixel filter would also be wise.

Olly

PS, If I forget the cooler now, with the Kodak chips, it's curtains...

cheers olly....much appreciated. i think i might just of got away with it!!

cheers

bob

Noise Ninja is good but apply it to a duplicate layer and then ease back the opacity until the noise just starts to make an appearance. This will help to avoid that awful 'waxy' appearance that over-smoothing can produce.

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Archived