Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big binos and my concerns!

dezzie

I have the helios Apollo 25x100s and my custom built mount, when its set up there fine except the neck strain from looking at the zenith and watching I don't wack people with my mount as I am sweeping it round, but my main concern is 1. the thread to mount it onto a tripod seems tiny and short which is a pain to hold up the binos and try and thread it on due to the weight of the binos so I think a more sturdy one should be made standard and maybe an additional clamp of some sorts for security!  2. the knob on the top of the sliding rail between the binos helps you slide the binos to find the perfect balance point while setting up but as it too, has basically a small threaded bolt going through the bar to secure it to a wide circular rail, it only has a small area to bite onto it to secure the set position, but even when nipped up, it jiggles from side to side by a good few mils so will not truly be perfect keeping the binos still on the mount and you get shake and vibrations with the slightest breeze.  Anyone else think this mounting could be better thought out with a more secure system?

I personally would love those new 100 apo binos from Germany with 45 degree eyepieces on a nice fork mount but unless santas generous this year it aint going to happen but I will still wish for them, other than that I love the views through my binos despite the mounting shortcomings!

Oh I forgot to mention, for my p mount I had made a 2.5 inch metal extension bar to raise my binos higher, it being a metal thread chewed up my aluminium threads on the base of the bino thread mount point as struggling with the weight and thinking it was going in perfect it was actually going in at an angle and chewed up some of the threads, problem solved this week by drilling out the old aluminium thread and fitting a steel helicoil thread like what you use for stripped threads in cylinder heads, worked a charm and highly recommended for longevity.

Hi Dezzie, whilst I can't comment on the problems with your kit, I too have had issues with stuff that's not too well engineered. I've done a lot of modding over the years, and have a friend with a lathe to sort out what I cannot.

It sometimes feels like I'm doing the research & development that the manufacturers did not..............

But it sounds like you're up for modding stuff yourself, so hopefully will fix the issues.  Can be good fun, and lots of why didn't they do it that way in the factory...............

Agree about binos with angled eyepieces, great idea.

Regards, Ed.

My binos aren't that bad, sometimes I get double views for no apperent reason then there fine again, although you have to watch the knob on the top rail is not slid too far forwards as this touches the inside of the binos thus preventing them from being squeezed together fully, I looked through a guys the other night with 20x80s and his were really bad, one image higher than the other and in double, he is interested to know how to collimate them himself, would be handy to know in case I have to do mine in the future!

Archived