Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

altitude of polaris should this reflect my latitude

asset189

Im trying to understand some of the technical aspects of my hobby. Research tells me that the altitude of polaris should be the same as my terestrial latitude , in my case N55 04.8. When checking this via skysafari set to this location polaris is listed with an altitude of 45.18, is this correct?

Confused.com

Hi, your Polar Alignment should be set to your Latitude i.e. N55 04.8.  If you are viewing from the same position it will never change.  However if you go on field trips etc it will change and you will have to use the new co-ordinates.

I tried Skysafari and ended up using Stellarium, it's a very good programme to orientate yourself in relation to what you can see from your location.  Also with Stellarium if you have a GOTO scope it will operate it for you.

Happy Stargazing.

:smiley:

Thanks for the info. I use skysafari because i can then use the app on my mobile phone to get alt/ az coordinates for the dobsonian and its been accurate up til last night. Perhaps a software problem, ill reload it and see.

I'm guessing something must be awry with your Stellarium settings. As the others have said, Polaris' altitude should be pretty much the same as your Latitude.

I just checked SkySafari for my location. My Latitude is 51d, 23 m North and Polaris is showing at an Altitude of 50d 43m.

This will change as it circles the pole, so by tonight at 11pm it is showing at just over 52 degrees altitude.

Stu

Archived