NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What height to make it?

Earl

I have looked at various options, and have decided to go along the lines of a self build especially designed to be removable to my next address.

As all im looking for is a container to house a scope im going to have a 4 x 4 base.

Hoever I cant decide that the height should be, I seem to recall my last obsy was around 6ft.

Im going to be using a SW pier and either a heq5 or 6, a small scope with OAG to keep weight down to the minimum.

Can I get this into 5 foot?

I would go for at least six feet.  If you are self building the "extra" will be insignificant in terms of cost and build difficulty and you will forever be sorry if you build "just a bit too small"  :p .

btw I mean 6' to the eaves - you can gain a bit more under the highest part of the roof.

Depending on your height, you want to be able to stand upright, under the roof, or you will suffer back pain due to stooping, if you imagine then EQMOD will be handy, plus it gives a user defined Park position so it will slew the scope and allow for the roof to be shut with the scope maybe sideways with the weights high.....

Depending on your height, you want to be able to stand upright, under the roof, or you will suffer back pain due to stooping, if you imagine then EQMOD will be handy, plus it gives a user defined Park position so it will slew the scope and allow for the roof to be shut with the scope maybe sideways with the weights high.....

I have no intention of standing in it, so it not really an issue, custom park position is a good point though, a scope parallel to thew roof is much lower than in the normal park at Polaris position.

I have no intention of standing in it, so it not really an issue, custom park position is a good point though, a scope parallel to thew roof is much lower than in the normal park at Polaris position.

I don't normally stand in mine but i can stand up right, its not when your viewing its when your fiddling with bits in the day time.....my C11 when unparked stands 12-18" higher than the rear wall, but slews side ways when EQMOD parks it, keeps all its alignment data, awesome program..:)

I see where Earl's coming from. This is the Sentry Box On Wheels design in its smallest form, so it is a mount/scope cover, pure and simple. If this is an imaging setup then it can be remarkably low if you use ultra low piers. I've experience of an imaging shed which has an inner ceiling of about 5 feet at the low end. This can house big scopes.

What I would do, perhaps, would be design it with an upper and lower section which could be separated, and between which a height raising section could be inserted if ever you wanted it to be a rolled off warm room in a later incarnation. I thought this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/196686-singlins-observatory-build/ was a particularly good example of the breed, though Earl is talking about something smaller. 

I also have a low rolling roof and sides shed, around 5 feet, in which horizontal park is essential but not a problem. It isn't comfortable to move around in and I open it to work on the scopes, but I can sit at the desk in comfort for PC activities while its closed.

Olly

I see, thought it was a larger type,, i would go for some thing like a BT Phone box, with a stable door, open the top door and latch to a side panel, the the top section would hinge back wards leaving the scope exposed, the phone box is for design style, i don't mean use one just the shape...:)

Archived