NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Will it wreck my dslr???

NIGHTBOY

Hi guys and gals. Finally got the adapter to mount my 700d on my 200p.

I was out the other night just taking some pictures if the sky and before long my lens had misted up. I'm slightly worried about this happening when the camera is attached to my scope as the lens won't be on it. Will the mist get inside the camera and wreck it??

Not to worry. You won't ruin anything but pictures with the lens like that.Just don't remove the lens from the camera and expose the sensor when it's misted up like that. When you bring the camera inside let it sit for awhile and get to room temperature before you remove the lens or open anything. This is called "Acclimation". Same goes for when you bring the camera outside in colder weather.

I leave my gear in the trunk as i travel to the dark site and set up and take the optics and camera out last thing. Sooner or later you will want to get a battery operated anti-dew heater wrap for the lens  to avoid it from fogging over in the future.

Just for a few moments won't hurt anything. Make sure it is the same temperature as outside before you expose the sensor and you won't bet any condensation. I do it all the time with my 5DMKiii. You may want to get in the habit of carring a bulb blower with you. I blow out the camera's interior and sensor without a lens attached pointed downward before every image session just before attaching it to the scope..

I have in the past placed a freezer bag over the camera when its been attach to the Focuser just to stop it dripping with dew, not having a lens on there won't hurt it as the dew won't get down the tube, into the Focuser and onto your sensor.....having a dew shield on the scope will also help....

Ok fellas thanks for the input!

Here's a pic I just took with my 700d. Is there any way of getting more zoom???

IMG_1587_zpsa0d1009a.jpg

Get a cheap webcam less than a fiver, there is a thread in the DIY section explains how and what to do, my single attempt ended up like this, used a 250mm Newt and webcam no barlow.....

moon01_04_201220_50_17-1.jpg

Not sure I follow Jam....

Prime focus is when the camera is connected directly to the scope. You can think of it as either a camera with a really big lens on it, or a telescope with the camera as the eyepiece. This is probably what you have done here.

You can also get a nose piece adaptor that you can insert an eyepiece into. That way you get the extra magnification of the eyepiece as well. However not all eyepieces will fit, and you might have more problems with focusing and with some eyepieces you might only get part of the sensor illuminated (I think).

A Barlow is basically a x2 lens that you can attach other lenses to. Normally you would attach a 10mm lens to a x2 barlow in order to make it a 5mm lens. If you put your nose piece into the barlow and then the barlow into the scope to double the magnification.

How are you attaching the dslr to the telescope?

You can get a 2" nose piece which clips onto the dslr, and has no optics in it, and that nose piece slots into the telescope focus tube. If you have a 2" barlow (a 2x, say, magnification lens, you could put the barlow into the scope, then slot the dslr into the barlow, and that would magnify your dslr image 2x. You can get barlows upto 4x magnification (maybe more), but your image quality will suffer even with a 2x barlow, and suffer more with higher magnification.

A webcam would be another option.

James

Hi Nightboy,

In your original question you make a very valid point.  A DSLR on a Newtonian will have the camera interior completely open to the elements - dust, dew etc.   It won't damage the camera but it is clearly not ideal.  But if you have a coma corrector or similar correcting lens then the camera will at least have a sealed airspace in front ot it.   I think that is the best solution.

Mark

Hi Nightboy,

In your original question you make a very valid point.  A DSLR on a Newtonian will have the camera interior completely open to the elements - dust, dew etc.   It won't damage the camera but it is clearly not ideal.  But if you have a coma corrector or similar correcting lens then the camera will at least have a sealed airspace in front ot it.   I think that is the best solution.

Mark

This is a very good idea or any neutral/LP filter that could be fitted to adapter or camera

Have people reported problems with DSLRs getting moisture inisde them when mounted at prime focus on newronians?

The astronomik clip would help, but it doesn't provide an air tight seal (well the APS-C one doesn't).

James

I can remember a guide to astro imaging i googled a long time ago it mentioned newts and exposure of the camera sensor, i have no idea what adaptors are used to fit a camera to a newt but with fracs the 2" or 1.25" adapter is usually threaded for a filter.

Archived