Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on filter to capture B33 area

Taff

I believe the H-beta is the filter of choice for seeing this region. I have the Astronomik version, but have not really had a chance to try it out. It's a very elusive object, visually. There is a lot of speculation that, without at least a 12" scope and very dark skies, it's almost impossible. The couple of attempts I've made with a smaller scope (without filter at the time though) can attest to this. I wasn't even able to catch a glimpse of the Flame nebula, let alone the Horsehead. I really must try it with my 10" and the filter.

I have been able to see it with my 3" refractor and Mallincam video camera though. Was only a couple of weeks ago and was very exciting to finally see. Seeing it visually through an EP would be the ultimate though. Some people go their entire lives without being able to do this though. It's probably the most sought after, but least seen, object in the sky.

Archived