Equatorial mount used as a Azimutal

i´m looking for a new mount and there are Azimutals and equatorial with slow motion controls.

If i buy an zimutal mount it´s easy to use because i don´t have to do the setup and  align but i can´t do photo and follow objects..

The question is if an equatorial mount, for example a EQ3 or EQ5 could be used as a azimutal , pointing the polar axis to the zenit and use it like an Azimutal mount, the same way as if it  was a Vixen porta or similar , or the balance, weight , gears, and other things can malfunction or being unstable.

The reason for that silly question is that i saw some  skywatcher NEQ 3-5 cheaper than a Vixen porta and i was thinking, "why not buy a EQ and use it as a azimutal or equatorial depending of the situation ?" for example if i want grab and go, or is better use Azimutal.

I typed a reply which my phone lost.... Annoying.

I don't see how you can use an EQ5 in alt-az as you would have to lift the tripod up probably 36 times and turn it around to see the whole sky, as the azimuth adjustments have a very limited (and jerky) range of movements.

If you are trying to avoid polar alignment, just point an equatorial mount roughly north and set your rough latitude and don't even look through the polar scope, and that will be roughly polar aligned, sufficient for visual. And you'll still only probably need to make adjustments with one slow motion control lever (the RA) rather than with two when following an object.

But i'm might not have understood the question correctly.

James

I have seen some EQ mounts converted to Altaz. You need to make certain the polar angle will go up to 90 degrees, or modify it to do so. One was for sale on eBay recently, I think it was a modified CG5. It can be a cheaper option than some of the Altaz mounts and include a counterweight which you will need if you have a heavy scope.

Linton

Ah, i see what you are asking.

Even if the elevation bolt doesn't allow you to get to 90 degrees, the zenith, you could alter the leg heights of the tripod so its polar axis points at the zenith, but your mount would be even more unstable, being telescope side heavy, so you would definitely need the counter weight(s).

I still think a very rough and ready polar alignment would be far easier to set up, and mean using the scope would be far easier too.

James

Here is that EBay item that was mentioned, a CG5.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALT-AZ-HEAVY-DUTY-CG5-HEAD-/271316809753?pt=UK_Telescope_Mounts&hash=item3f2bbdf819

You can see how the RA axis has been adjusted to reach 90 degrees, allowing is to be used as an Alt-Azimuth mount. However, from the description, some modification has been undertaken (albeit reversible) to get the acis that hight, so I assume that switching between the two modes would take more than an few seconds.

Richard

Easier to set the polar axis to 0° ie horizontal.  But as said above if you roughly align it will be OK for visual (and unless you leave the country you can leave the polar axis set for "the middle of England" as that will be near enough).  All you have to do is plonk the mount down roughly north - a compass will help you.

S'funny innit? As my cheap equatorial mount that came with my 2nd hand Tasco goes up to the full 900 I thought they all did! You live & learn, don't you?

I tried it with my EQ3-2 once but could manage to get all the way. Blatant discrimination against astrononers living at the North Pole.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

It's really not difficult to get your head round an EQ mount once you've used it a couple of times.  And there are positive advantages, I find star-hopping much easier when I know my mount moves in the same direction as the grid lines in my star atlas.  Remember for visual use the alignment doesn't need to be very accurate - lining up the North tripod leg with Polaris will probably do.

Archived