Do I need latitude scale?

Hi. I'm a newcomer to astronomy. I've been using a Skywatcher 130p but yesterday  I picked up a used Celestron C8N on a 'newer' type CG5 mount at what I thought was a great price. :grin:

I tried it out last night...REALLY PLEASED.....had some great views of Jupiter and it's moons. :smiley:

One slight issue with the CG5 mount though. The two end plastic caps that plug either side of the altitude axis are missing. One of them should have a lat scale on it. I was wondering, do I really need this?

I was thinking.....If I line up polaris in the centre of my field of view and then make a mark on the altitude axis would this work? If I was going to polar align I'd be making tiny adjustments anyway.

Regards, Howard

Hi Howard - nice 1, if your just doing visual work then a rough align (like you mention) is fine, I set up by leveling the CG5, with the little triangular "index" markers on both axes lined up, I then look through the finder for Polaris, centre in the main FOV with the Lat and Alt adjusters on the mount - then away I go???  Visually it works fine, you could also add an additional calibration star or two, but I find it fine with the initial alignment stars from the 2 star Auto align.  Regards   Paul.

Archived